Anyone know about a spy series called Callan?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by HowardPaul, Feb 8, 2006.

1. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

I am a huge fan of the Sandbaggers. Best spy series I know of on DVD but only ran for one year. (Seems like the author, who was a real life spy himself, mysteriously disappeared) I was told Callan was also excellent but can find nothing about it.
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    How

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

"Callan" is a British series that was first produced in 1967 and starred Edward Woodward. Series 1 is available in the U.K. on DVD but there's been no U.S. release (I'm not sure if this was even broadcast in the U.S.). Given that Associated British Corporation and Thames were involved in this, I'd hazard a guess and say that if it ever does get released in the U.S. on DVD, it would probably come from A&E Home Video which seems to have cornered the U.S. market for British spy/intrigue shows from the 1960s and 1970s. IMDB.com entry for Callan:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061238/

3. HowardPaul

OK.
    Thanks for the info!
    How

4. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

Hi Howard,

If you like The Sandbaggers, then it's safe to say you'll love Callan. A great series.

5. HowardPaul

Right but, it seems that I cannot get it in the US, right?
    Or, is there a way?

Best
    Howard

6. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

Only the first series is available here in the U.K. but I believe it's on the "to do" list from a company called Network, who've also released the first series of The Sandbaggers in Region 2.

7. HowardPaul

ok.
    TY Ben.
    Howard

8. HowardPaul

Anyone know if a Region 2 version of Callan from England would play on an Oppo in the US?
    Thanks
    Howard

9. StellaKuru

StellaKuru Auditioning

Howard,

Amazon lists the first season episode DVDs but they are unavailable, so I don't know if we will ever see these in the US or not. A shame! Fabulous series. I saw it years ago and will always remember it.

I have some Callan info URLs to share with you but I can't post them here because I am so new to the forum. Let me know if you are interested in them.

Stella [​IMG]

10. HowardPaul

Well, there are quite a few for sale on Ebay. I found out that my DVD player does play them. I'm now wondering about the quality of what is being sold.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Howard

11. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    i have series 1 & 2 for this show. It was very interested show, especially around the plot lines. It was also a show that a coming out party for Edward Woodward. I like the old British spy series. I am hoping to pick up the complete series of the Man from UNCLE. Where are all the good spy series? I guess they died when the cold war ended.

12. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    There's a Region 2 DVD boxset coming out soon for Callan, called The Monochrome Years, containing the surviving episodes from the first two series.

13. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    If you like Callan, and have a multi-region dvd player, you will probably also like Special Branch, especially the first two seasons with Derren Nesbitt--not quite as dark as Callan, but in the same vein (and time period).

14. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker Screenwriter

Anyone know how many of those episodes survive? The Network site is vague on that.

15. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Joe Corey
    seems only half of the black and white episodes have been found

16. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker Screenwriter

Was the final B&W episode among them? Because it leads directly into the first color episode.

17. silverking

silverking Guest

Yes it does & should be included on the Network set. Callan was 'killed off' but like Sherlock Holmes brought back again.

The character was the subject of several books by creator James Mitchell. The first of these was turned into a TV play in the 'Armchair Thriller ' series & was so popular it spawned the series. This pilot should also be included on the Network set.

All the colour episodes survive, they are all available in Region 4 (Australia) from Madman DVD.

The feature film 'Callan' , a big screen remake of the pilot is easily available on Ebay.

Callan was a suberb series with top quality writing & plots. Woodward was excellent as was the supporting cast. Don't expect 'Man from UNCLE' heroics, this much darker & realistic. If you liked 'Sandbaggers' you will love 'Callan'

18. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    How about a friendly SPOILER warning next time you post something like this? Don't always assume everyone has seen everything.

(I wish the powers that be at HTF would continually remind posters to be more careful in this regard. I personally think it's just as important as studio reps getting unwanted E mails or any of the other myriad broken rules).

19. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    The only available DVDs of this series (until the new R2 set comes out) are from after this event, so it's not so much of a spoiler in this case as it is helpful information. When I watched the first episode of series 3 (US set #1), I was more confused about what was going on than I would have been if I'd known.

20. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    I beg to differ. To those approaching this series blindly, it's a spoiler no matter what order the DVDs come out. It would be akin to revealing "Who Shot (a prominent character)?" before the episode where he's actually shot is released. Just because a studio or DVD manufacturer chooses to apply their own obscure reasons for releasing a series out of order does not mean every viewer is going to approach it the same way and watch it out of order.

In any case, revelations without adequate SPOILERS have been cropping up more and more in these HTF forums lately and I'm growing weary of it. It's a careless, clueless and selfish practice no matter how inadvertent; given all the rules we must follow here, I think that's one that should be more prominently mentioned and enforced. On the IMDB for example, comments with spoilers that don't contain a warning as such risk a potential banning of the offender.