Anyone know a "shelf" to lift up the tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

For the bedroom, the tv must be on a relatively low stand. I really could use a shelf of some sort to place on the stand (under the tv) to prop it up. 6 inches would be great. Additionally, I would love if there woudl be room under the shelf for a componenet (either the cable box, vcr or center channel speaker).

A quick picture might help illustrate what I am looking for:

TV

--------

| |

| |

-----STAND-----

For some reason, the picture will not come out correctly -- the right side of the shelf should be on the right border of the tv.

Any suggestions??? I should probably add that the tvis a 19 incher.

thanks,

allan

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I built what your talking about for $25 in materials and by no means am I any kind of carpentar.

3. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Good point Bobby, but being in NYC, I do not have access to tools and/or lumber. I am really just looking for something the right size and shape (preferably in black) that I could use.

Thanks,

allan

4. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Allen, years ago I bought a plastic swivel TV/VCR shelf to raise my 19" TV off the top of the dressor while keeping the VCR inside the bottow slot. I am sure places like J&R still sell them.

PF

5. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Found this unit, it may be what your looking for?
    TV Shelf

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,I am cheap when it comes to this kind of stuff.Why not get a couple bricks for each side.Paint them black or wrap them with black material.Use a shelf board and viola

7. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

that is exactly what I am looking for. If anyone can find somehting similar that is a bit cheaper, that would be even better. Also, if anyone knows that exact measurements of the Sanus TT30 that Doug pointed out, that would also be helpful.

Allan

8. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Allan, jandr.com has similar swivel TV/VCR shelves for less (both $ & TV size). The one I have is basically the same except it's made out of black hard plastic and accommodates my 19" TV fine. Of course it costed me slightly less than $40 even back 5 years ago. [​IMG]
    PF

9. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Doug-

I jsut wanted to let you know that I purcahsed the Sanus unit. Unfortunately, the one pictured in you link did NOT include the VCR shelf (it was merely a turntable) but the newer version turntable had an optional VCR "kit" to add such a shelf. I bought it a week ago and got it yesterday and it is perfect for what I was looking for!!

Thanks again,

Allan

10. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

How big is the TV? Maybe 2-3 glass blocks on each side, then get a couple of peice of plywood or have the lumber yard cut to size... and then, use silicome to hold eveything together...

This would kind of look neat... Depending how heavy your tv is...

Bill