anyone know a fedex ground driver?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

in my job hunt I've run across ads for them, I never knew they were subcontractors/owned the truck they drive.

an interesting concept, does anyone know if they make a decent living? or is it like the snap-on guys, where the lucky ones with good routes make a living, and the others go bankrupt?

http://grd.fedex.com/cgi-bin/$rhr2000.exe?Sub=Job_Postings&func=SearchView&ID=2310

2. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

Yea, I Know one pretty well. If you like long hours no benefits for little money, never being able to get off work to attend school/family functions then the job is for you

[​IMG] But my friend owns two trucks and grossed close to 100,00 last year. His route is one of the exeptions most guys once they pay for their trucks, taxes, fuel and maintenence there is not much left. email me and I can give you more info [​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that's alright, it's about what I expected. Doesn't sound like anything I'd want to do.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Fed Ex Ground was the old Roadway delivery service, correct? FedEx bought them out and they all became FedEx Ground I think.

Jay

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yes, fedex bought RPS in about 98 or 99.

6. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

From what I remember you are paid by the package. That's it. No benefits.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that's what I understand, you're a subcontractor, not an employee.
    if the pay is good enough that's not a problem [​IMG]
    doesn't sound like it is to me though.

8. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

Your paid per stop per package. Also a daily supplement for having a truck available and your paid for your area based mostly on miles driven, and a monthly bonus based on your service.

9. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Philip, you might ask around about UPS drivers, living in Houston here, I see them delivering stuff all over town driving the hell out of those trucks. They have to be some of the hardest workers out there, always seem to be busting their humps to get the packages delivered as soon as possible. As the old saying goes, you get out of it,what you put into it.