What's new

Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB? (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I took a film class in college and the professor referred to 1.37 as "Academy ratio". I have no idea if that is accurate, although my dad was a projectionist in the late 1950s and he knew the term. Unlikely anyone would use that term now. EDIT: My dad just told me that although he knew the term "Academy ratio", where he worked they called it "standard ratio", 1.85 was "widescreen".

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Academy Ratio is still a widely used term, but that doesn't distinguish the variations of Open Matte vs Pan/Scan vs Cropped vs items originally produced for that ratio.

Then of course you get into the seemingly infinite variation of Widescreen and which items were originally meant to be seen in one specific ratio vs those that were probably produced for one ratio, but designed for many variations beyond that.

I used to be amused by the advertising back in the 80/90's for Widescreen TV (usually RPTV) which were just big 4:3 sets and nothing particularly wide at all about them until until mid to late 90's. That was later replaced by my amusement at the term Full Screen which was anything, but Full Screen when played of the 80-95%+ plus TVs that were now 16:9 standard ratio

Anamorphic (appropriate and inappropriately used), Widescreen, Letterbox, Windowbox, Pillarbox, TV Safe, Open Matte, Soft vs Hard Matte productions.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Just a general FYI...promo code 47532 is still in rotation. I cancelled once again and got the offer to re-enroll with that code.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Latest list of bonus picks.

Looks like Black Widow and Cruella are new, with a handful dropping off.

Black Widow
Cruella
Raya
Mulan (live action)
Toy Story 4
Black Panther
Nightmare Before Christmas
Moana
Frozen 2
Lion King (animated)
Soul
Guardians of the Galaxy
Onward
Hocus Pocus
Lady and the Tramp
Little Mermaid
Coco
Brave
Fox and the Hound 1 and 2
Incredibles 2
Alice in Wonderland (animated)
Frozen
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
Bambi
Ratatouille
A Goofy Movie
Monsters, Inc
Wall-E
Avengers: Age of Ultron
A Bug's Life
Big Hero 6
Up
Finding Nemo
Pocahontas 1 and 2
Princess and the Frog
Inside Out
Zootopia
Lilo and Stitch
Finding Dory
Aristocats
101 Dalmatians (animated)
Spies in Disguise
Snow White
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Beauty and the Beast (animated)
Sound of Music
Beauty and the Beast (live action)
Toy Story

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My two cents:

I joined in December 2008 specifically to be able to grab a copy of the Walt Disney Treasures Dr. Syn, just as inventories at stores had been depleted. That was a life saver (though as it turned out, someone also gifted me with one for Christmas, bless their little hearts!). I then acquired several other Treasures (eventually completing the collection) and several of the club-exclusive vintage live action titles. I felt it was well worth it for those things, and still do, in spite of old transfers, incorrect aspect ratios, etc., because some of those movies are still not available otherwise. Along the way I picked up a few pins that I liked, and maybe a couple of other pieces of merchandise including gifts for others.

Now skip ahead a few years, and you can see me watching carefully every month for the notice, and going online immediately to decline the monthly offer. Every single month for the past couple of years I ask myself why I don't discontinue the membership, since I'm now not going to buy anything at those prices, and I "surely" have the last of the unique things they're ever going to offer. Right? Well, who knows. I still check the "collectibles" occasionally, and there hasn't been anything of interest to me. And there's my sordid history.

And yes, it's EXACTLY like being a member of the Columbia Record Club and Book of the Month, etc., going as far back as the 1960s. Except now we pay $25.90 for our introductory package as opposed to, say, a dollar! :)
That was one of my reasons for hooking up with them, I had the Steel Book version Dr. Syn but it was a dvd and I wanted the ugraded BRD. And other classic titles like Cat from outerspace and Blackbeards Ghost with Peter Ustinov was reasons as well. But you have to be on it when they shoot you the notice of there offering of the month, or whatever. You don't answer and Buddy, it's off and in the mail!! They seem to be really pushing the 4K titles...good deals are to. be had even though shipping can be a bit costly!!

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Again, it took about 22 hours to clear out my old account, but this time, they sent me an e-mail this afternoon confirming the cancellation. Interestingly enough, I didn't actually see that e-mail until after I re-enrolled.

Got a couple of concerns on the re-enrollment. Same promo code as last time, but it looks like it doesn't have free shipping. It also looks like they calculate the sales tax after shipping, which I don't think should be happening anywhere.

EDIT: Just looked it up, and it appears that regular shipping charges shouldn't be taxed, but "shipping and handling" charges can be taxed. And of course, DMC uses "shipping and processing".

EDIT #2: The chat agent says that promo code should have Free Shipping for Life. I probably placed the order too soon after enrolling. She's currently adjusting that order, but assures me that it free shipping should apply in the future.

In summary, 47532 should have free shipping, but it's probably best to not place the first order immediately after enrolling.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pretty much all the new Premium Codes have Lifetime FS (for the US), but it does often take a few hours after signing up for it to attach to the account. It seems the last I did it, it took 3-4 hrs which is a big switch from 2-3 days when they added the perk.

Canada still doesn't have a FS option other than the random Monthly offers, but at least the best sign up code now is only 3 Full Priced after enrollment (2 if you choose the 1st bonus) instead of 5 which is a major help.

That was one of my reasons for hooking up with them, I had the Steel Book version Dr. Syn but it was a dvd and I wanted the ugraded BRD. And other classic titles like Cat from outerspace and Blackbeards Ghost with Peter Ustinov was reasons as well. But you have to be on it when they shoot you the notice of there offering of the month, or whatever. You don't answer and Buddy, it's off and in the mail!! They seem to be really pushing the 4K titles...good deals are to. be had even though shipping can be a bit costly!!
The FS perk by itself is worth a new cancel/signup ASSUMING you have at least 6 (or better 8) items you could get. Even without that perk on your account, they should be 6-7 cycle per year with FS though that almost always has a B1G50% instead of B1G60% offer attached (anohter major advantage to having the FS attached to the acct rather than an extra so you can really stack savings)

The Featured Title shouldn't really be that hard for most people since it's not like they give you 4-5 days to respond. They give you 28 days to accept/decline, multiple email reminders each month (every after declining), and a no Fault return if somehow you forget or they ship despite you declining. Owner Ron got hit by the latter several times for some reason which most people never get once.

The FT cycles are predictable enough that you literally could set your Calendar by them if you need another reminder - every 28 days plus an extra round in Mid March and Mid Oct midway. I usually decline mine within the first 24 hrs since they rarely have FT I'm interested in

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just rejoined this club today after being away for many years. I auccessfully used the 47532 code to get 5 movies for buck plus free shipping. So that you all know, all of the titles released a few months ago are now eligable for inclusion in the introductory package. Here is what I ordered:

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Blu-ray)
Watcher In the Woods (Blu-ray)
Flight of the Navigator (Blu-ray)
Melody Time (Blu-ray)
Make Mine Music (Blu-ray)

Supposedly I am getting a bonus of two additional discs, and will be hearing soon about how to receive them. The rest of the membership info is below, copied and pasted:

As a Member you agree to buy 3 movies at $19.95 per movie, plus shipping and processing.

You agree that your Membership in the Disney Movie Club will continue until you cancel or we terminate your Membership, and to the following terms: About every 4 weeks, plus 2 additional times per year, we'll announce a Featured Title, and your credit card will be charged the amount listed for the Featured Title unless you decline it by the date specified; you agree to buy the minimum number of titles at $19.95 per title, plus shipping & processing; you may cancel at any time (charges may apply if you have not purchased the minimum number of titles); and additional terms set forth in the Membership Agreement (including arbitration agreement). You can find your Membership Agreement in the “My Account” dropdown at DisneyMovieClub.com.

You may cancel your Membership at any time; charges may apply if you have not fulfilled your minimum purchase commitment.

If you cancel your Membership before fulfilling your minimum purchase commitment, you will be invoiced or your credit card will be charged for the value of the number of introductory-priced titles you received in your initial enrollment order ($19.95 per title shipped to you), plus shipping and processing and sales tax (where applicable). This amount is dependent upon the terms of your initial enrollment offer, including the number of titles you received.

To cancel your Membership, please take one of the following actions:​
•​
In your web browser, go to DisneyMovieClub.com and send us a message through the Contact Us link in the FAQ section of the site.​
•​
Send us an email at [email protected].​
•​
Call the Disney Movie Club toll-free at 1-800-362-4587 from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. EST, Monday through Friday​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I might rejoin. 5 movies for a buck and free shipping? That's pretty damn good.

I'll definitely get Melody Time and Make Mine Music.

Question...

Is Watcher In The Woods any good?

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just rejoined this club today after being away for many years. I auccessfully used the 47532 code to get 5 movies for buck plus free shipping. So that you all know, all of the titles released a few months ago are now eligable for inclusion in the introductory package. Here is what I ordered:

Melody Time (Blu-ray)

Supposedly I am getting a bonus of two additional discs, and will be hearing soon about how to receive them. The rest of the membership info is below, copied and pasted:
Unless something's changed, once you've placed the order you're normally taken to a new page where you immediately select those bonus titles from a "short list" which are then attached to that join order. You may need/want to call a "cast member" to be sure and make sure you get those two titles.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Melody Time (Blu-ray)

The bonus items should have been offered right after you clicked Submit. Usually takes you to a page with about 50 of their choices and gives you 10 minutes or so.

There is several hours while the order is processing and you can change/exchange/add items -- call them now or open a Chat when your online account is activated -- usually from the MY ACCOUNT summary page in the upper Right though some Ublock/AdBlock hide this button. Usually it's active from 11-7 ET weekdays (sometimes 10am to 9pm). Phones I think are closer to 9am-1am ET M-F

The advantage with a direct contact is you have a much bigger selection of choices (virtually all the enrollment eligible items cna be selected) and many frequent flyers just skip directly to this step anyway. I'd say it's very important to get that first BONUS item at least since it also counts as your first required purchase (11.95 instead of minimum 19.95) and drops you to 2 more required.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Question...

It's OK -- excellent cast.

Far from the book, but like The Black Hole and Something Wicked This Way Comes it's very hit/miss. I think most people who haven't read the book like it more than big fans of the original.

If you're picky about Originals -- please read the controversy over MMM esp and MT. MMM drops the 9 minute Martins/Coys segment completely like the DVD did (likely due to Guns, possibly a bit of implied Domestic Violence and Appalachian/Mountain People stereotyping). The All Cats Dance segment still has some minor censoring around the Shower scene though it you don't know it well and do stop frame you'll never notice. Melody Time appears uncensored, but has a very iffy soundtrack encoded at just 96 kbps compared even to Disney+ at 220 -- I can't hear much issue, but my ears are far from audiophile level.

As usual with Disney lots of complaints about Too clean, too much DNR. Personally I think they look very good

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ah, ok... I was about to (re)join a few days ago (after a long hiatus and lengthy membership not bothering to do the cancel/rejoin thing), but couldn't figure out how/where to actually submit the 2 bonus titles so gave up (for the time being)...

Guess I'll try again today...

_Man_

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Question...

Not really. The production was plagued by bad special effects for the climax, and test audiences didn't get what was going on. So, they withdrew the film and reworked it, removing a pre-title sequence, and shooting an entirely new ending filmed with a different director! I find it pretty silly, but it is sprinkled with interesting, even a few spooky moments. I'm not fond of Holly-Lynn Johnson (FOR YOUR EYES ONLY), but it is always fun to have another late-career Bette Davis performance. I have had the lousy-looking DVD for maybe twenty years and I'll replace it, as it, along with THE BLACK HOLE and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and a few lesser-known films, was part of an effort by Disney to present more adult-oriented material while still appealing to kids (and these two goals make very uncomfortable bedfellows). The film, like the others I mentioned, was rated PG in the years before Touchstone was established.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1st reports on the Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers set -- DMC seems to be already shipping based on their release date of 1/28 which is well in advance of the reported Wide Release

One of the big question was whether they would use the cropped 16:9 transfers like D+ or the original 4:3 -- good news is the back of the case and 1st quick plays show the original TV ratio.

Nothing else yet. The couple people who reported receiving it has Life Stuff to do so nothing other than a quick peak and posting the finding.

Back cover 1080p High Definition 1.33

From rdodolak at Bluray.com

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That five for a buck deal is calling my name. I’m a member but haven’t bought anything in ages, and now y’all have me thinking about canceling, rejoining, and catching up on a few of the recent releases that are actually desirable. I have probably asked in past years, but what’s the best way to go about this now?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That five for a buck deal is calling my name. I’m a member but haven’t bought anything in ages, and now y’all have me thinking about canceling, rejoining, and catching up on a few of the recent releases that are actually desirable. I have probably asked in past years, but what’s the best way to go about this now?

This is the main GoogleDoc of current DMC items. It should be pretty much UTD showing which are enrollment eligible and the last listed Bonus Items. I guess the most important thing is do you have at least 5 (preferably 6 or 7) enrollment eligible items you need/want. Honestly when I've cancel/re-enrolled I usually wait until I have 8 items so I can sign up and purchase my 2 required commitment ASAP to get back to the max VIP savings. The 2 Full Priced items can be anything Reg Price 19.95+, so new items, Star Wars, 4K, etc. Just a reminder -- 4K, the few 3D items left, StarWars, TV Sets, and most items less than 60 days after release aren't eligible as enrollment picks. Even the ex-Fox titles are very hit/miss on the enrollment selections.

DMC SPREADSHEET - GoogleDoc

Post 1014 above has most of the active Best Signup Promo Codes

Cancelling -- I find CHAT to be the most effective and quickest. Phone works as well. Email is by far the slowest.
After you cancel, you either need to wait until your account has been purged completely if you want to use the same email address.
Initially if you attempt to sign in with your current User/Password you'll get a You Can't Sign In, Contact CSR message, but that's a interim step and you acct is fully closed. I think now within a couple days you'll eventually get a message like "This username and password does not exist." This usually means it's cleared -- this used to take a couple weeks, but I think many people are getting it 1-3 days now. If you try to re-enroll with the current email address at the first stage message, it usually will reject the signup since you technically still have an acct open

If you use a different email address, then you can usually re-enroll almost immediately after you can't sign in at all. Many people have done this within minutes of cancelling. Name/Shipping and Billing Address/CC can all be the same as the last acct.

As far as the actual enrollment, you can use the website or phone signup. My strong suggestion is to do this M-F during normal DMC business hours for the web signup. If there's an issue you want to be able to contact them ASAP to finetune or correct a problem.

I find the website much faster to do since you don't have to verbally confirm every step twice, but I'm used to the way it works. A phone signup esp if you get a newer CSR can be slow since they want to confirm everything, repeat and spell your name and address, repeat and spell your email, CC information and number, they double check each title you ask for and sometimes have trouble finding it in the system (catalog number helps immensely if they say they can't find it or that something isn't eligible that should be). I used to manually write down Name and Catalog Number of 12 items before starting a phone signup.

1) Phone is slower, but they can help walk you through the process.
Start with the Promo Code -- ask if they can briefly confirm the details (Blanket, FS, number of commitments) to make sure then code entered correctly. I think they start with you Name/Address/Billing and then ask for you items by name/format or catalog number (make sure at the end that they read back the items and all are the correct format). I think after your 1st 5 they'll ask if you want to select any bonus choices (11.95 and 8.95 with the 1st counting as your 1st required item). Some people have asked about special deals available -- most of the time it's the same or worse than the one with the above codes, but someone last year had a CSR offer them a 3rd Bonus pick for $9 or 10 and it actually counted for his 2nd Required item so he only ended up with a single Full Priced item after his initial package (I figured it was a one-off since nobody ever got that deal again that I'm aware).

2) Website can be easy or confusing depending on if you're used to the screwy way it does things. 1st thing ENTER PROMO CODE and make sure you get to the 5 for $1 page with the picture of the Dalmatians Blanket and says "Free Shipping On Everything You Buy" underneath. Also just below is something like JUMPSTART your Membership where it critical to see the text "We'll help you get started with 5 Disney movies for just $1, and you agree to purchase 3 titles starting at $19.95 with Membership" Make sure that doesn't say 4 or 5.

Then you can select your 1st 5 Movies. The pictures show about 1/3 of the items eligible so if you want a different item, type the name in the search box. The site doesn't say at all whether it's BD or DVD yet. Only after you add your 5 titles and Click Continue does it ask if you want BD or DVD. If one of your items isn't available on Bluray then it should ask "do you want to continue with the DVD of that item or remove/select a different item." It used to be easier when you could just enter the catalog number from teh spreadsheet to select you specific item, but that doesn't work for many older titles and even some new titles anymore.

Continue -- name/address/email/password/CC and SUBMIT ORDER.

One of the most frustrating things with the website signup is this issue esp for those who were used to the old creaky antiquated Signup site that was ugly, but more functional in my opinion than the pretty modern site.
Only after this step it will take you to a page that should ask if you want to select an Optional Bonus Movie(s)
-- 1st for $11.95 (counts as your first required purchase dropping you to 2 further) and 2nd for 8.95 (not a required item) . The site will then offer you around 50 items and 10 minutes to select them (one/both/none) -- these should automatically be the format you selected earlier. Make sure to click Finish and it should give you some Final Message and Thank you.

USUALLY within an hour (sometimes minutes) you should be able to sign into your account. Email Confirmations of the signup can take a few hours to show up so don't worry too much even if it's overnight.

Now the fancier steps -- IF you don't want any fo the small selection of Bonus Titles or decide you want something different/changed your mind OR if the website glitched and kicked you out before you finished you Bonus Picks (or just didn't offer you the chance), you can call/chat with DMC and have then change/exchange/add items to you enrollment package. I usually pick 1 that I could live with just to make sure I get that 1st Cheap Required item then chat and have them exchange for an enrollment eligible title I'd rather have, but even that's not necessary. Many folks just take none at signup, then chat and have them directly add 1 or 2 items -- there's seems to be a 12-24 window while it's "PROCESSING" that you can make changes though I prefer to do it within the first few hrs.

The end of the Beginning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks