Anyone into the Riverworld series? Question:

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Frank Grimes, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

I've just finished reading part of the Riverworld series, but I'm having difficulty figuring out which part it is. It's from the book "Phillip Jose Farmer: Riverworld and other Stories". It begins with Tom Mix, Yeshua, and Brittsomething running from Kramer's men and ends with Yeshua's surprise while Kramer beat him. Can someone tell me how far into the series this is taking place, if the rest of the series is any good, and which book exactly do I need to get for the whole series, at least until the secret of the planet is revealed (I've read after that it gets pretty weak).

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wish I could help, but Phil Farmer just never caught on with me. I've read at least one of the Riverworld books (19th-century adventurer and actor Richard Burton "appeared" in what I read). I read the novel that put him on the SF map, The Lovers, and was not blown away. But I remember another novel of his -- the title of which escapes me at the moment -- wherein when people "died" they ended up in a gravity-less world, naked, and floating from one thing to another. Just read it once, when I was in high school. Would like to try it again.

Farmer, though, laid the groundwork for what in the 1960s would be called the "New Wave."

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I can't remember if Riverworld and other Stories is a sequel or prequel, but the main trilogy starts with To Your Scattered Bodies Go, and the 2nd is The Fabulous Riverboat (or the something Riverboat) Can't remember the 3rd off the top of my head.

OK, Google refreshed my memory.

It's been a lot of years since I read the main three novels, which I loved. The others, and the SciFi channel offering, were not as satisfying for me.

"Dayworld" was also pretty cool, but only really grabbed me for one novel's worth.