Anyone interested in Zu Warriors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terrell, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Saw this trailer, and was immediately interested in this film. Seems to be a mix of fantasy and martial arts. Hopefully, we can get another great martial arts film, ala CTHD. Although this doesn't seem to take itself as seriously.

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I'm interested in it. The visuals look promising and if indeed they don't try to load the story down and take itself too seriously, it looks like a fun ride.

Bruce

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Zu Warriors? Isn't that the classic 1983 HK Fantasy flick by Tsui Hark?
    I have a widescreen copy of this mad movie somewhere in my collection, lots of flying around, flashy swordplay, plenty of crude but colorful fx, and totally incomprehensible (to me anyway), great silly fun.[​IMG]
    Has Zu Warriors recently been remade or rereleased?

4. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

I'm guessing its The Legend of Zu (2001) which was also done by Hark Tsui. Its an ok film, but if you enjoyed his previous stuff then you would enjoy this.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Here's the link at movie-list.com. It's interesting, because it says release date in 1983, but also is set to release in 2002. What's the deal? I didn't catch this the first time around.
    http://www.movie-list.com/z/zuwarriors.shtml

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

7. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Where can I get this on DVD in a hurry?

(Disney/Miramax restricts the sales on these on DVD once they are for sale, so I need an overseas seller of the LEGIT DVD)

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. I've never seen (or heard of) the 1983 version. It looks like a cross between a video game and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Larry - we're talking about the theatrical release that is happening soon. I'm not sure what the DVD plans are at this time.

9. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I was able to get the import from a US company before Disney dropped the hammer on domestic sales of the DVD. It can still be had through HK stores.
    The movie is okay. Personally, I like it but it is certainly not without sizeable flaws. There is a ton of eye-candy. The battles are very much more FX driven than straight-up martial arts.
    The DVD has DD 5.1 and DTS and both sound great.
    It takes itself more seriously than the original but I didn't find it cheesy. The plot, however, is somewhat thin and not the easiest to follow.
    I'm curious how the English text on the release is because I've already noticed differences from the subtitles just from the preview and the DVD's subtitles drop out on a few occasions. Anyone know if they're using subs or dubs for the big screen?
    I think if you liked the original and you liked films like The Storm Riders. it's worth your time to check it out.

10. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Funny how these old threads pop back up from time to time. I really like the look of this film based on the trailer. Has an incredible look and an epic feel. Yes, many of the effects look cheesy compared to American films, but they'll suffice.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I saw the preview recently in the theater and it piqued my interest. It seemed a bit like "Clash of the Titans" meets "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." If it's anywhere near as fun as either of those two movies, then I'll be happy.

12. Larry Seno Jr.

Where to buy? Still can't find a place that can sell it. Disneys far reaching arm extends even to HK. Can someone put up a link of a store that sells the legit copy?

13. Clay Kilpatrick

I saw the trailer to this when I saw Metropolis. I have to admit that I thought if any movie looked like a fighting game this would be it. I will be giving it a try.

Clay

14. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

15. Larry Seno Jr.

I did so after I did a lengthy search to see where else people bought their Hong Kong DVDs. There are as far as I could tell TWO stores ballsy enough to sell this DVD. What people dont realize is that Disney releases films and has the rights to films ALL over the world, so even most HK DVD stores will NOT sell the DVD. It's illegal, but it doesn't matter. Politics are so corrupt that Disney can buy their way around the Dual Import laws. IE It would be COMPLETELY legal for me to buy 500 copies of the film and sell them in the US, yet a store like Best Buy would NEVER do that for fear of upsetting the Disney machine. A machine which sickens me. It has basically ruined ESPN, ABC, and Miramax as far as I can tell.

16. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    This "new" version is the same 1983 film...only dubbed and with some additional footage/graphics.

Just like last years release of "Iron Monkey" was the same as the 1993 version.

17. Larry Seno Jr.

You're completely and totally wrong. The "New" version is a re-release of the 2001 version of a movie called Shu shan zheng chaun. The movies share ONE ACTOR. Sammo Hung. It's a remake with completely new special effects.

18. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    comingsoon.com now reports that it wil be released straight to video/DVD

19. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer