What's new

Anyone interested in Zu Warriors? (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Saw this trailer, and was immediately interested in this film. Seems to be a mix of fantasy and martial arts. Hopefully, we can get another great martial arts film, ala CTHD. Although this doesn't seem to take itself as seriously.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in it. The visuals look promising and if indeed they don't try to load the story down and take itself too seriously, it looks like a fun ride.

Bruce

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Zu Warriors? Isn't that the classic 1983 HK Fantasy flick by Tsui Hark?
I have a widescreen copy of this mad movie somewhere in my collection, lots of flying around, flashy swordplay, plenty of crude but colorful fx, and totally incomprehensible (to me anyway), great silly fun.:)
Has Zu Warriors recently been remade or rereleased?

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
I'm guessing its The Legend of Zu (2001) which was also done by Hark Tsui. Its an ok film, but if you enjoyed his previous stuff then you would enjoy this.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Where can I get this on DVD in a hurry?

(Disney/Miramax restricts the sales on these on DVD once they are for sale, so I need an overseas seller of the LEGIT DVD)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. I've never seen (or heard of) the 1983 version. It looks like a cross between a video game and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Larry - we're talking about the theatrical release that is happening soon. I'm not sure what the DVD plans are at this time.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I was able to get the import from a US company before Disney dropped the hammer on domestic sales of the DVD. It can still be had through HK stores.
The movie is okay. Personally, I like it but it is certainly not without sizeable flaws. There is a ton of eye-candy. The battles are very much more FX driven than straight-up martial arts.
The DVD has DD 5.1 and DTS and both sound great.
It takes itself more seriously than the original but I didn't find it cheesy. The plot, however, is somewhat thin and not the easiest to follow.
I'm curious how the English text on the release is because I've already noticed differences from the subtitles just from the preview and the DVD's subtitles drop out on a few occasions. Anyone know if they're using subs or dubs for the big screen?
I think if you liked the original and you liked films like The Storm Riders. it's worth your time to check it out.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Funny how these old threads pop back up from time to time. I really like the look of this film based on the trailer. Has an incredible look and an epic feel. Yes, many of the effects look cheesy compared to American films, but they'll suffice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw the preview recently in the theater and it piqued my interest. It seemed a bit like "Clash of the Titans" meets "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." If it's anywhere near as fun as either of those two movies, then I'll be happy.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Where to buy? Still can't find a place that can sell it. Disneys far reaching arm extends even to HK. Can someone put up a link of a store that sells the legit copy?

I saw the trailer to this when I saw Metropolis. I have to admit that I thought if any movie looked like a fighting game this would be it. I will be giving it a try.

Clay

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I did so after I did a lengthy search to see where else people bought their Hong Kong DVDs. There are as far as I could tell TWO stores ballsy enough to sell this DVD. What people dont realize is that Disney releases films and has the rights to films ALL over the world, so even most HK DVD stores will NOT sell the DVD. It's illegal, but it doesn't matter. Politics are so corrupt that Disney can buy their way around the Dual Import laws. IE It would be COMPLETELY legal for me to buy 500 copies of the film and sell them in the US, yet a store like Best Buy would NEVER do that for fear of upsetting the Disney machine. A machine which sickens me. It has basically ruined ESPN, ABC, and Miramax as far as I can tell.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
This "new" version is the same 1983 film...only dubbed and with some additional footage/graphics.

Just like last years release of "Iron Monkey" was the same as the 1993 version.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
You're completely and totally wrong. The "New" version is a re-release of the 2001 version of a movie called Shu shan zheng chaun. The movies share ONE ACTOR. Sammo Hung. It's a remake with completely new special effects.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
comingsoon.com now reports that it wil be released straight to video/DVD
I wonder what the story is behind that? I saw the preview before the showing of Brotherhood of the Wolf and haven't heard zip about it since. Now this report that it's a straight to video release. Strange.
Bruce

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What people dont realize is that Disney releases films and has the rights to films ALL over the world, so even most HK DVD stores will NOT sell the DVD. It's illegal, but it doesn't matter
Nope, They do NOT control the rights in Hong Kong. Media Asia does

Boycott the Miramax version, it's missing 20 minutes and dubbed.

Disney can threaten HK based etailers all they want, but all they can do is have the discs stopped at the US border, and you won't believe the headache it's going to be to open EVERY SINGLE package from them going into the US.

They seem to be satisfied with shutting down US etailers

Users who are viewing this thread