Anyone interested in Street Hoops (XBox or PS2)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I've enjoyed over-the-top Basketball games since the original NBA Jam in the Arcade. I've owned almost every version of NBA Jam on consoles (Genesis, PSOne, DC (NBA SHOWTIME)), and I've also had great fun with NBA Street on the PS2.

Does anyown know how "Street Hoops" will measure up to Midway's (and EA BIG's) offerings? I'm hoping it will be good, and that they don't skimp on gameplay in favor of all the extra crap (clothes, shoes, extra courts, blah blah blah.)

2. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in this game, but it would have to be really good to bother buying it. My friends and I are still hooked on NBA Street.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I'm be a balla!

There's a huge discussion going on over at the AVSforum.com in regards to it having HD capabilities. Michael Mullis from Next Level gaming has a final copy he's putting through the paces. The only problem now is he doesn't have a device capable of passing 720p, which the game is supposedly coded at. He's also trying to see it it will upconvert it to 1080i.

I'll be picking this one up regardless if it's HD or not.

Troy

4. Greg Miles

Greg Miles Extra

Troy, what forum at AVS is the thread under... I have a Hitachi 5500 and I want some 720p material to tweak.. If Street hoops does in fact utilize 720p then I'll buy it today.. Today is the release date, right?

5. Troy LaMont

Greg,
    You can check the thread out here.
    Although I'm a little disappointed that the HD capabilities have yet to be verified and we're only a few days from the street date.
    Troy

6. Chris Rock

FYI -
    I just picked up the game (haven't played it yet) and the back of the box says HDTV-720p.

I have a Sony WEGA XBR set (36"), but I haven't played anything better than 480p on it. I don't know what will happen when I throw Street Hoops into the old 'Box and give it a whirl.

I hope the game doesn't suck.

7. Greg Miles

Greg Miles Extra

Chris, are you component connected to your XBR? Let me know as I'm about to go grab the game..

8. Chris Rock

9. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Tested and it works at 720p [​IMG]

10. Troy LaMont

Scott "E",

What equipment was used and how was the 720p verified?

Thanks.

Troy

11. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Troy

I've got a Sharp 55R-WP4H which will accept and display a 720p signal. The easiest way to tell on my set if it is receiving an HD signal is to change the screen sizes. When displaying 480i, 480p or 540p material there are 4 different screen size options, but when displaying 720p or 1080i material there are only 2 and Street Hoops gives me 2 options. Unfortunately, my set does not let you know what resolution you are running at, so in the dashboard I only selected 720p and it was definitely running at 720p. If 720p is not selected in the dashboard the best you get is 480p and you can definitely tell a difference.

12. Chris Rock

Grrr....
    Apparently my WEGA XBR450 does not display a 720p signal. I had my XBox settings configured saying that my TV did support 720p signals, but when I put the game in, it came up all garbled. After changing that setting to "no", it comes up fine.

Does anyone know if that means it's converting it to 1080i? I've read somewhere (though not on Sony's site, and not in my TV's manual, unfortunately), that the XBR450 upconverts 720p material to 1080i.

The game does look sweet, regardless.

13. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

How good did it look at 720p? I forgot this game was coming out, this just made me want it even more!!!!!!

14. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

LaMarcus

It's impressive to say the least. However, it's not going to win the best graphics award. You will surely appreciate the resolution as there are no jaggies to be seen, and it has that HD look to it. There are certain angles that are used on the replays that are down right gorgeous though and had more than a few ewes and awes from my friends that were over.

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Oh, my, God!! I can't wait till this weekend so I can go pick this up. I haven't seen anything in HD at my house yet so this will be a real treat. Actually I've only seen a good HD signal once a long time ago, I'm due for a refresher.

16. mourad

mourad Extra

Chris --

I rented Street Hoops yesterday to test its 720p support.

I have a Mitsubishi which doesn't support 720p. When I set the XBOX to 'yes' for 720p, I'll get nothing (blue screen). Setting '720p' to 'No' makes the XBox down-sample - so I'll end up with 480p!!

There are really few TV's which support 720p, meaning for us to take advantage for any hi-res game, it has to be 1080i. To my knowledge, the only game advertised so far for 1080i resolution is Dragon Lair.

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I too was disapointed this weekend, discovering that my $3000 65" piece o shit doesn't do 720. I was so pissed.