What's new

Anyone interested in "Danny Thomas" (aka "Make Room for Daddy"?) (1 Viewer)

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
For those who weren't aware, Image's season three "Dick Van Dyke" release includes as a nifty bonus feature a complete episode of "The Danny Thomas Show." Seeing it brought back memories of really enjoying this show when a portion of the run aired on Nick at Nite (under syndication title "Make Room for Daddy").

As far as comedy style, the show takes more from the Lucy playbook than from the more urbane Van Dyke show--but it's still a great old sitcom that deserves, if not the all-out Van Dyke show treatment, at least barebones season sets or a best-of.

I would consider asking TV Land to bring it back but they're too busy turning that channel into an abominable rehash of the already-unwatchable Nick at Nite. (end of cable rant)

Doc

Mark To

Supporting Actor
They are in the works for later this year along with Joey Bishop and Real McCoys. Don't know any exact dates yet. Unfortunately they are starting with 5th season on MRFD, the first season with Marjorie Lord. For some reason they don't want to release the Jean Hagen or widower episodes even though in a lot of ways they were better shows.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
My wife and I just saw that episode from the DVD set last night, we liked it alot. I also had seen the show when it aired on Nick at Nite. I wasn't aware that the show originally aired without Marjorie Lord. Does this mean the show originally had his first wife? Did she die during the show's run or was her character killed off? Was Angela Cartwright supposed to be Danny's Daughter, but Rusty Hamer Marjorie's son? Any info on the backstory of this show would be appreciated. Thanks.

Carlos.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
When I said thst I saw a "portion" of the series' run on Nick that's what I was referring to. Yes, Danny had a first wife played by Jean Hagen.

From here down it's all hazy memories: I believe Hagen (whom you may recall as Lena in "Singin' in the Rain") wanted out, so they wrote her car accident death into the show--pretty unusual for the time. I think they did a full season of Danny dating, then settled in with Marjorie Lord's character. IIRC, the first episode in Nick at Nite's package had Danny and "Irish" on their honeymoon in Vegas (or returning from same). The casting of the kids throughout the run was kind of a crazy quilt so I don't even want to get into that.

By the way, FANTASTIC NEWS on Danny, Joey and McCoys releases! There must be some discomfort on the producers' parts with the early episodes, or maybe problems clearing Hagen's work on the show.

Doc

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Not sure as to the reasons why they don't want to put out the early episodes. Maybe Hagen left on less than friendly terms and the family holds a grudge? I don't know. Also a different actress played Kathy's daughter in the last 6 episodes of 4th season when they were dating. Also they don't want to put out the first season of Joey Bishop where it was a different format and he was a press agent. Too bad as those episodes had Marlo Thomas and Joe Flynn in them and are actually in some ways funnier than the later ones which are essentially the Danny Thomas Show II. I'll still buy them all anyway.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would buy this. I think they are starting with Season 5 with Majorie Lord because that is what was sold into syndication in the late 60's/early 70's and retitled "Make Room For Daddy" and is what most people remember seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks