Anyone Interested In A Gregg Loewen Houston and Austin Tour??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig S, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Hello, fellow Houstonians. I have just been in touch with Gregg Loewen about getting him down to Houston for a calibration tour. We would need to get a minimum of four folks (three more besides me) for him to come. The tour participants will split his airfare. His rates are posted on his website (see the Lion logo at the top of this section).

The best dates right now appear to be the first week of August or anytime in October. If you're interested, please reply here or via PM or e-mail. Please indicate which of these date choices would work best for you, and also where in the Houston area you live (might as well get a start on the logistical issues - which airport to fly him into, etc.).

I shouldn't have to sell any regular reader of this section on Gregg's services. Hoping to hear from some of you soon!!

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Bump. C'mon, there's gotta be someone else in this huge city that needs a calibration!!

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Id be more than happy to travel a little while Im down there. So figure Houston and about 120-150 mile radius.

4. LanceM

LanceM Auditioning

How about north austin? I have a 1999 vintage hitachi bigscreen that needs some love. Somehow somebody got in there and messed with the dyn conv pots. It may be too big a job(being substantially more than just the standard tweeks) but nobody around here seems brave enough to touch it, or else it is extremely cost prohibitive. Its unwatchable right now but it should look pretty good if got retuned.

5. Joe Swaney

Joe Swaney Auditioning

I would be interested in participating in the tour. I am in NW Houston (Cypress). I would prefer the August date.

6. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Guys, so 2 so far??

Lance, I may be cost prohibitive too. Calibration cost (400-550), plus something towards milege (figure about 300 miles round trip to your location), plus the standard $50 towards my travel expenses.

The 300 miles thing is what making it prohibitive?? Perhaps another person or 2 in the Austin area would be interested.?

Keep in touch!

Gregg

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Gregg, do you normally rent a car for these tours?

FYI, Joe is pretty much directly on the other side of the Houston metro area from me - actually neither one of us is in Houston proper. Probably be a hour-and-a-half drive from me to him. Houston is pretty sprawling, so you'll want to take that into consideration.

Assuming we get enough folks signing up, the next thing is deciding which airport to fly you into - Hobby (south of town) or Bush (north of town).

8. LanceM

LanceM Auditioning

If you managed to get some more people in austin, you could fly in here and I could take you to the next person in Houston in my new Infiniti G35 [​IMG] then you could do the rest of the guys there and fly out of Houston. Probably a longshot but you never know. I'm not doing anything through august so it wouldn't be much of a problem. We have a house in Galvaston on the water we probably ought to check out anyway.

9. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Lance, damn that is sounding nice. I used to live in Beaumont and went to Galvaston VERY often. Id just drive to Austin from Houston, then drive back to catch the plane.

I routinely just rent a car, it is about 150 for a week. Flying out of different airports can be quite expensive.

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

11. Joe Swaney

Joe Swaney Auditioning

The Texas calibration tour seems to be losing momentum. Is there not anyone else in Houston or Austin interested? If you look into the costs of a local provider, they are about the same, even with travel considered. Personally, I want to make sure that I am getting the most out of my set. I will not settle for "Chevette" performance when I bought a "Cadillac".

12. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Thanks for the bump, Joe. I too am surprised there's no more interest.
    If some of you are reading this and are on the fence, just search on Loewen in this section and you will find numerous testimonials to Gregg's skills. I had the pleasure of meeting Gregg at last year's national HTF meet and I can assure you that you will enjoy having him as a guest in your home. He's a great guy - so let's get him some work!! [​IMG]
    BTW, I took delivery of my Sony KP57-HW40 yesterday. Wow!! It lives up to its reputation as an awesome set out of the box. I can't wait to see what it looks like after calibration!

13. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

YGM, Craig. I am in Houston and may very well be interested in this tour for my Toshiba 56H80.

I think that I make four total, so is that enough to at least meet the minimum?

14. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ive had an email from John, looks like we have enough!
    The next steps:
    1. Go here and send me your info:
    http://66.201.107.3/book.shtml
    2. The At the bottom of the above page, select the paypal logo and then send me the $50 travel fee.
    I will contact each of you when I receive the above info / payment. When I receive 4, I will contact each of you and arrange for the dates of the tour and book my ticket. The travel fee is refundable up until the time I book the flight.
    Email or post here if you have any questions.
    Regards
    Gregg

15. Joe Swaney

Joe Swaney Auditioning

Like Craig, my set is pretty new. I read in another thread that there should be at least 100 hours on a RPTV prior to professional calibration. Is that a good guideline? I should have no problems with that, but if it should be a lot more, than I have to seriously work on the DVD backlog in the next few weeks (the sacrifices one must make!). Should I run certain films through in order to ensure that all of the CRTs have been has underwent some sort of stress test (some relatively light movies, dark movies, bright-colored animation, etc)?

16. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi Joe,

Yes, at least 100 hours. I will not be able to come in August, it will be Sept or October (at the very latest). You should easily have the time on it by then.

BTW, the guns lose about 20% of their life during the first 100 hours, that is why you wait the time period. (read: 20% lose = 20% change in gray scale).

Gregg

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Gregg, for your planning purposes I will be out of town September 3 - 13.
    BTW, YGPP! [​IMG]

18. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Oh, poopie. I was hoping we could get this done in August, but it's not a problem. There is a chance I will be in Canada all of September, but even if that happens I can have my girlfriend or someone come and let Gregg in to do the calibration. We will figure something out. I will get my deposit in ASAP.

19. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Is there a cut off date to get in on the tour? The reason I ask is, I'm interested, but I have a service issue on my set to deal with and they might be replacing the guns, so I may not have enough break in time. Also I got a question for Mr. Loewen. Have you calibrated any Sony KDP-65XBR2's. Just wanted to know if you have any experience with them.

20. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys. Ive received deposits from Craig and Joe. Please email me or call if you have any questions.

Jason, Im still waiting on yours??

Hi John, I have done at least 2 of the new Sony 65" XBR 2s. Email me, or post here, if you have specific questions.

Gregg