Anyone install their own GAS LOG?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todbnla, Dec 24, 2004.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I am pretty sure I can do this [​IMG] I mean its just hooking up a gas line just like a dryer but it does say in the instructions to have this done by a licensed technician. Of course safety is a main concern.

PLMK-Happy Holidays!

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

They are really not much trouble to install but just make sure that you test for gas leaks on any line you install.... spray bottle with soapy water will work. If you've used plenty of pipe dope, you shouldn't have a problem...... Good luck and enjoy!

3. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Ok, my home came with a natural gas "starter" which is just a pipe with some small hols to help start a wood fire. It has the valve with a key on the side of the wall. When I take the "starter" off of the end of the pipe and install the flex line for the gas logs their will also be a valve built onto the logs, the kit I bought has another yellow handled valve in the kit. Do I really need three valves? I think just the "keyed" valve and the one on the log will suffice...?

Thanks!

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'd put the petcock in before the flex line, it's faster to shut off than the key.

Don't foget the pipe dope.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A rear venting gas fireplace from someone like Heat N Glo will be a much better appliance than an old fashoned "gas log" that just fits in a wood burning fireplace. However, they require a lot more installation work and I'm not even sure thay can fix in a masonry fireplace.