Anyone in Wichita or surrounding area interested in a HTF meet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Coleman, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I don't know how many people there are from Wichita or the surrounding areas there are on the forum but I have seen a few.
    Maybe we could try to get a tour from the Warren Theatre, or get together at members homes for disccusion and or system demonstrations. Maybe even hit Custom Sound or something.
    Post here if you live around here and are intersted.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Since I'm only about 80 miles up the road, count me in. I think a tour of the Warren would be sweet. I'd offer some more suggestions as far as what else we could do in Wichita, but I really don't have a clue what there is to do down there. Unless we're talking about clubhopping. [​IMG]
    BTW Kev, where is Custom Sound located and how nice a place is it?
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

3. Kevin Coleman

Custom Sound is on Lincoln and Hillside. It is a very nice place. Although they can be a little snooty at times. There is also a place called A-plus electronics in Wichita that only takes demos by appointment only. I will call him and see if we can get something set up once we have a date set.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

4. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Thanks Kev,
    I'll have to check it out next time I'm down. Did you have any ideas in mind as far as a month/date is concerned? I'm pretty much free on the weekends except for band practice every other Saturday. I am able to work around that though.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

5. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Hey Kevin C. Just came across this thread, been busy at work you know. I would definetely be interested in a get together. A tour of the Warren would be sweet. A-Plus also has a D-ILA demo room I believe, along with a few other rooms. How is your crt treating you? I noticed you have been doing a little upgrading lately, Outlaw, Malata. I am open Fri.-Sun. Hopefully we can get a few more interested.
    Tim

6. Kevin Coleman

Hey Tim,
    Yeah I have never seen a DILA in action. But would like to. My CRT seems OK but I really need a good calibration. I am hoping the guy from A-plus might do it after we go see his room. I am thinking I might need a higher gain screen? I might try to find some paint that has a slight gain. I can't seem to get my homemade 1.0 gain screen bright enough without blooming some.
    Kevin,
    I have no date in mind yet. Does anyone want to throw one out? I am also available most weekends. Let me know If you guys want to see a college football game in HDTV they start on CBS the 15th of this month every Saturday.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

7. DanSt

DanSt Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone!
    I am up for a meet. Just let me know when you want to get together. [​IMG]

8. Blake Solomon

Blake Solomon Auditioning

Thanks for cluing me in Kevin!!! I apologize for the lack of communication a while back when you called me. I tried calling back a few times but never got anyone. Nothing against you though.
    A Kansas forum meet, if you will, would kick ass!!! I'd just need to know a week or so in advance to schedule my job around it. I'll try to think of anything else we could do that hasn't already been mentioned.
    I've never been to Custom sound before, although I've thought of it. I've had Baron's Electronics order all of my Sony ES(shameless plug) products direct from Sony. My Father, on the other hand, has purchased almost everything you could think of, from Custom Sound for as long as I can remeber. That's really how you do it though-build a relationship with the ones who keep our HT addictions thriving. [​IMG]
    Anyway, i'm sure we could work something out. We just need to start finalizing our ideas and getting some dates circulating. See you later.
    -Blake

9. DanSt

DanSt Stunt Coordinator

I tend to agree with Kevin. Custom Sound definitely isn't the best in customer service. I was willing to buy my whole Klipsch setup from them, but they wouldn't give me a deal on them (considering the retail is $4600 for the whole set). True, that is probably a small drop in the bucket for what they normally do, but even a couple hundred would have been nice. Oh well, I jumped the KS/OK border and bought my setup from a place with FANTASTIC service and they gave me a great deal to boot. Custom Sound's loss.
    ------------------
    ...transmission terminated...
    Anubis
    [email protected]
    Equipment List:
    -Denon AVR-5800
    -Klipsch RF-7 Fronts
    -Klipsch RC-7 Center
    -Klipsch RS-7 Sides/Rear
    -SVS 20-39PC
    -Panasonic RV-80 DVD
    -Sony 32" XBR400
    -Sony Playstation 2

10. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Kevin,
    I would love to be involved in a meet. Let me know how I can help.
    Bill

11. Kevin Coleman

Hey Guys,
    It looks like A-plus electronics is out as a place to go for a demo. I talked to the owner today and he is not at all thrilled about people coming in to see his D-ILA projectors who don't have any intention on purchasing from him. I can see his point and admire his honesty about it. But if you are going to do business today you are going to have to be ready to compete with the internet.
    He said he has had people come in there that read HTF and AVS Forum who come just to see them set up then they go buy them on the net for the same thing he pays. So unless one of us plans on buying a D-ILA from him at almost full retail we might as well forget that place. [​IMG]
    Blake mentioned Baron's electronics maybe we could go there. I have never been there. Do they have a demo room?
    I will also call the Warren tommorow and see if it would be possible to get a tour.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

12. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Unrelated to the meet, my parents live in Wichita (Andover) and have "hired" me to do their HT for them. I have bought all of my stuff in the past from Kief's in Lawrence, but they need some wiring done that Kief's obviously can't do. Who would you recommend. I've been in Custom Sound numerous times, and you're all right, not the best customer service. Does A Plus do a good job of wiring in existing walls/ceilings?
    They are probably going to do in-ceiling speakers for the rear r/l/c channels. Also, would any local place do a decent discount if I bought everything from HDTV to speakers to receiver to cables...?

13. TimG

TimG Second Unit

You know, its attitudes like that which will kill your business. Like it would hurt him to take a few hours out of his day to show some enthusiasts his demo rooms. Even if we didn't buy a D-ILA from him, it might of gotten him some business in something else. A-Plus is definitely scratched off my list for any future purchases.
    Keep us updated on the Warren tour, I have a few leads I will try to follow also.
    Tim

14. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

It would make good business sense for any upscale video place to talk to our group. So we don't buy anything that day, we are the people who tell our friends where to shop. The network of future prospects is more valuable than a walk-in.
    but don't let me tell them how to run their business, they know best.
    Bill

15. Kevin Coleman

Hey guys,
    I finally got in contact the manager at the Warren yesterday and they do indeed do tours but, They only do them during the week and they like to do them in the morning before they open. So I doubt this would be possible for most of us. Anybody else have any ideas?
    Kevin C. [​IMG]