Anyone in the Vancouver area interested in a meet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

Well, I proposed this idea to one fellow Vancouverite who failed to even respond, I thought I'd post this and see what happens.
    Just to clarify for those pesky Americans, I'm talking about Vancouver BC Canada, not Washington. [​IMG]
    Anyone around here interested in arranging an informal little get together. I'd like to see what the interest level is before trying to pick a specific time/place.
    Lemme know.
    (I'm not nearly as psychotic as I look in the picture. [​IMG] )
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Rain,
    Funny you posted this. Another Vancouver area member, Paul Wu, and I were just discussing this.
    I think it would be a great idea for a meet sometime in the early fall after the sun starts to go into its 5 month hibernation.
    Lets keep this thread going and see who else is interested. Maybe we can organize a trip to Sound Plus or something like that.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Yes! I really enjoyed the last one, and we had a good thread going both before and after (I will try to find it). Definitly interested in doing this again!
    (No luck with search...too long ago, I guess.)
    [Edited last by Peter Overduin on August 14, 2001 at 07:16 PM]

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Peter,
    Who organized the last one and what did you guys end up doing?
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I live here on the island, but I would love to take the love boat over for a meet. I'll keep watch as to when and where.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

6. Rain

Rain Producer

Nice to see some interest. Patrick, I see you beat me to the idea of advertising this in your signature. [​IMG]
    By the way, I re-read my initial post in this thread and I can't believe my horrendous grammar. Usually I'm quite a stickler for details. Yikes!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here .
    [Edited last by Rain on August 15, 2001 at 11:26 AM]

7. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

Yes I would be interested in a local Vancouver meet. Am presently investigating the suitability of the Malata dvd player so that I can finally gain access to those R2 Hong Kong Legends dvds. Anyone with experience with the player or the dvds, any comments will be appreciated.

8. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, count me in.
    I was the one who organized the one last year. Peter and I met up in the afternoon and we went to some AV stores to window shop. Later we met at Jerry's place to watch a the DTS demo dvd and then finally Leon: The Professional on Jerry's system. So there was Jerry, Sundar, JohnPaul, Peter and myself.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

9. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Paul...thanks for answering Patrick's question for me! That was a great time, including the HT shop visits. (Paul, FYI, I finally settled on a pretty skookum Denon/Paradigm combo..cool stuff!) Would definetely look forward to doing something again this year. If I remember, JohnPaul was thinking about hosting one and showing us all how he builds his own big honkin sub woofers!

10. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

Sure, let me know when and where.

11. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I'd be interested depending on where and when.

12. Jerry T

Jerry T Agent

Hi all,
    Count me in. I've got some SVSs for demo if anyone is interested.
    Jerry

13. Rain

Rain Producer

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I doubt if i can go...
    Im 15, no car, no license, and i doubt my parents'll let me meet a bunch of guys i met on the internet... [​IMG]
    ------------------

15. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I'm very interested in getting together with some of you Vancouverites (and if I have to, North Vancouverites [​IMG]
    I'm pretty much open for any day and time right now. Just not race weekend (which is Labor day weekend and I assume it won't be that soon).
    ------------------

16. Sundar Prasad

Sundar Prasad Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    Glad to see another meet being planned. I enjoyed our last get-together very much. Since then my setup has progressed a bit. I built a sealed Shiva sub and bought a BFD to flatten the bass out in the room. It works very well. I also ended up getting an NEC LT150 DLP projector last week and am putting it through its paces. Movies will never be the same again. I noticed that Henry Woo was asking about the Malata player - well I got that toy last week too. I am currently trying to make up my mind about whether I need a full blown HTPC for the projector or not. So far, the Malata has not disappointed - but I really want to see how an HTPC with an ATI Radeon card will do with the LT150.
    Looking forward to the next meet.
    Sundar

17. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Just found this on the HiFi Centre's webpage:
    This is your invitation to hifi hometheater 2001 Wednesday -Thursday, September 19 - 20, 5 -10pm
    This two day event will showcase the most remarkable Hi-Fi and Hometheater available in Vancouver.
    Be the first in Canada to audition the B&W Signiture Nautilus Loudspeakers and see live in person the original Nautilus. Come and experience an entire range of Classé Audio, Musical Fidelity, Rega and Denon. Also, for the first time in Vancouver, you will see and hear the Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage loudspeakers, with the REL Studio III bass system. Learn about and experience new technologies such as Dolby Pro-Logic II, DLP front projection systems from Dreamvision, Plasma Television, and HDTV.
    578 Seymour Street Vancouver
    Call 688-5502 to reserve your place.

Maybe we can incorporate this into our meet?
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

18. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Hey there, just thought I'd chime in with my interest in meeting up. I just don't have enough friends into home theater, especially since I moved ot Vancouver. Anyways, count me in, sounds good to me.
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

19. Pete B

Pete B Auditioning

Hi all. First day here and enjoyin' the readin'. Add me to the list of people interested in an A/V day.To introduce myself, I have a small, but to me , good A/V set-up (it's not the size, it's what you do with it, right?) and I too live in North Van. I look forward to posting etc. and hopefully can make it out to any event that may be planned.
    Cheers.

20. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Looks like we've got quite a bit of interst.
    I like the sounds of the HiFi drop in, but I don't know if I could make it, it sounds like a great demo session.
    Nick, don't worry, we'll all vouch for each other. We can all call your parents and assure them that we aren't pshyco's. Just don't show them a pic of Rain. [​IMG]
    I would love to hear Jerry's SVS', or should I say feel? and see Sundar's NEC LT150.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.