1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone in the Seattle or surrounding area know where I can rent a 5.1 LD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony R, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

I am dying to hear the Star Wars trilogy in 5.1 sound by renting the Spec Edition DVDs. Scarecrow Video in Seattle has them for rent, but their LD players aren't compatible with 5.1 sound. Any suggestions?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dude, I don't think any LD player is 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS capable. Just plain old Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound.
    None of the 1st 3 Star Wars movies have been released with DD or DTS soundtracks yet anyway.
    ------------------

3. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

A few of the last LD players released had "AC-3" output which is an RF modulate datastream which carried Dolby Digital. The signal needed to go into an AC-3 input of a processor or be passed through a demodulater for use with the more commonly available digital coax input found on today's equipment. There are some later LD's which do carry the 5.1 channel tracks.
    It is possible to add an AC-3 output to some LD players, but as most of my LD collection was only PCM audio, I never bothered. DVD has so completely outclassed LD in image quality that I find it very painful to watch my once treasured LD's.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Anthony, me thinks you're going to have to buy an LD player with an AC-3 (dolby digital's original desgnation, A-udio C-oder #3) digital output, or get an invite from somebody who is thusly equiped.
    Any LD player that has an optical or coaxial digital output will pass DTS and PCM (the common digital sound of CD and LD) off to decoders/processors. A player has to come with or be retro-fitted with a co-axial AC-3 RF output to pass Dolby Digital to an outboard AC-3 RF demodulator (and then on to the main processor) or to reciever/pre with one built in.
    Except for the Pioneer CLD-S104, every player from the before mentioned brand since 1995 had an AC-3 output. Pioneer choose this pain in the ass way to pass Dolby Digital because: they wanted to preserve the PCM track for users that were thusly equiped. The RF track's original use was to carry the pic and mono sound out the player's RF output. This is how the first LD players worked 20 + years ago, like VCR's RF output, same thing. Pioneer figured not too many folks were stille using RF in 1995 and that they could reassign this part of the spectrum for digital sound.
    BTW, the AC-3 Special Editions set sounds very good in PCM Pro-Logic, maybe better than the Dolby Digital track? I've listened to mine both ways. That's the good thing about how Pioneer did AC-3, the same disc has three soundtracks, Doby Digital, PCM Pro-logic, and analog Pro-Logic. Thus the disc is compatiable with all but the oldest players.
    DTS made their own LDs and choose to remove the PCM track in favour of a DTS track. But, even those discs have an analog track for players that can't pass the digital track. Best wishes from Laserland!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!
    [Edited last by Rachael B on September 08, 2001 at 03:31 AM]

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Sure they have, in a special edition box set. They're the re-edited versions that played in theaters in 1997. All three films have DD soundtracks.
    M.