Anyone in Houston up for a meet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’m working with Burke Strickland to organize a local meet for sometime in August or September.
    This one would be a little different. Burke and I have kicked around the idea of meeting at someone’s house. We ve’ discussed the prospect that this might be a problem, since the Houston area is so large, but we've had no trouble getting people to come from the four corners of the city to AudioConcepts, etc. in the past. So I don't foresee any problem rallying participation for something like this. I'm sure most of us like the compliments we get from our friends, but we always wonder what kind of reaction we will get from our "peers."
    I expect we would have two types of volunteers for a home meeting: One type who wants to show off his state-of-the-art rig. (For grins I could bring along my real time analyzer, an unbiased "judge" of how good his system really is!) I expect the other type would be a "work in progress," someone who wants input on how to improve his system, perhaps looking for ideas in dealing with any installation challenges.
    We could meet at the volunteer's home at about 10:00. The proud owner could tell us the finer points of his system and explain the challenges his installation proposed and how he dealt with them, compromises he had to make, etc. After we are all "demo'd out," we could adjourn for a leisurely lunch to a local restaurant recommended by the host (it is his "stomping ground," after all).
    We discussed the idea of lining up two homes in the same area, but Burke and I both think this wouldn’t fly. By the time we have our leisurely lunch, it's getting to be 2-3:00. Going for another demo would probably have us breaking up at 5-6:00, with some expecting a 45-60 minute drive home. I don't think many us are willing to give an entire day to this. We can see how it goes after this outing, and maybe try doing two locations next time, if it seems warranted.
    If you’re interested, post a reply here, or e-mail me at [email protected] , not the address on the icon above.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

------------------
    My Equipment List
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on August 06, 2001 at 09:08 PM]

2. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

I would love to attend such a meet. I live in Pasadena but the drive around town would not bother me. My biggest problem is that I work shift work. So, it will depend on the date as to wether or not I could make it. I would love to get pointers from my peers on my setup but my current house (moving soon) is not conducive to being the host. Hopefully some gracious Houstonian will volunteer.

3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Even though there haven't been a lot of posts responding here, we've received some e-mail showing interest. I've also added a tag line to my posts elsewhere (see below) so I hope a few more folks will come on over and add their comments.
    Burke
    ------------------------
    Houston-area HT "fanatics" -- check out plans for the next meet: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000260.html

4. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Burke, Wayne,
    Have you seen the thread started by Mark Condon on the Hardware page. It is titled"Hometheater pics are done,with Outlaw equipment". If Mark and I meet prior to this, I am still a go for whatever you guys put together. I really enjoyed the last meet but sure would like to see the pictures, Burke.
    Jason

5. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

I would be interested in attending, but not hosting. Maybe sometime next year I could be ready to host.

6. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

7. Mark Condon

Mark Condon Auditioning

I am willing to host. I only have a couch that can seat 3 people though. The rest of the folks would have to stand in the back.
    Mark Condon
    ------------------
    Mark's HT