Anyone importing a GBA SP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

They posted on Penny Arcade that their import units had arrived, so they seem to be available. Anyone here importing one, or are people waiting until they're released here.

Haven't decided if it's worth the upgrade or not. If anything, I might get the GB player, but my afterburnered GBA is good for now. Bit of a dust creep problem, but it's not $100 bad yet.

2. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I've got a black GBA:SP on the way from NCSX. They've had some trouble getting them in, but according to their latest e-mail, they're shipping mine out on Monday, so I should have it by the middle of next week, hopefully.

I could have waited for the US launch, but I wanted a black unit (which we may or may not get here in the states--if we do, it won't be for a while). And, I've never imported anything like that before, so I wanted to try it out and see how I liked it. Of course, I'm also an impatient little gadget and Nintendo fanboy geek, and that had something to do with it, too. [​IMG]

Word has it that the Japanese GB Player has a good chance of working just fine on US GameCubes (because there's no boot disc, apparently), so I'm going to import one of those when they hit Japan in a few weeks, too. Besides, we're only getting the Jet Black GB Player in the states, but Japan is getting them in several colors, and I'll want an Indigo GB Player to go with my Indigo Cube.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I just pre-ordered the Platinum for the US. I'd rather have black but oh well...

4. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I got mine from videogamedepot last Tuesday and have been pretty impressed. The feel is awkward at first but you get used to it. I think there may be some games that "feel better" on the old GBA. I wouldn't mind if the D pad was a bit more pronounced.

The light is as advertised. Bright. Even. Very nice. You won't want to bother with playing with the light off, the difference is so dramatic it's laughable.

And surprisingly, the sound is much fuller than the old GBA. I turned it up all the way and was shocked how deep it sounded, even if it still in mono.

5. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

I preordered a black one from NCS for $130, and I'm going to wait until they come down to that price (hopefully this week or next). $150 or $160 is just too much over the US price to be worth it, for me.