Anyone import CDs from foreign Amazon companies?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff Ulmer, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

And if so, did you have to pay additional duty/taxes? I'm looking at a group of CDs from Amazon.de and am wondering if I should expect duty/taxes to Canada. Amazon.com manages to import with no additional costs involved, so I'm wondering if their foreign affiliates are the same or not.

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I recently ordered some DVDs and CDs from Amazon.UK . I received a break on the VAT (about 15%, IIRC) and paid for Air Mail delivery. That was it...no hidden fees or extra costs. I have also ordered from HMV.co.uk with the same results. Now, I do live in the US, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I've ordered from US Amazon to Canada and usually didn't have to pay taxes/duties, but on one occasion (it was a book, not a CD) I had to pay something (and the book was used, no less [​IMG] ).

4. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I've ordered from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr and never paid European taxes/levies. I think you see the VAT in Amazon.co.uk, but when you put the item in your shopping cart, it goes away.

Doug

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm mostly concerned about Canada customs. I do see the VAT gets taken off on the order. Amazon has been pretty good with the importing department, I'm just concerned that the overseas stuff will get stuck with incoming duty and taxes.

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Just got another order from Amazon US today and no extras to pay. I don't think it would be any different from Europe. At least, I hope not, as I plan to order the Genesis SACD that's finally coming out in April.

7. Benjamin Ricci

I have also ordered from Amazon.co.uk (I'm in the US) and didn't have to pay any duties. In fact shipping was pretty quick, although the Dollar was down against the Pound at the time [​IMG]