Anyone here write music???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I cranked out some lyrics..and the response has been incredible!!!! Dunno...guess a mid-life sensitive side crisis! [​IMG]
    Anyhow..I know what a diverse group this is...and who knows...2 of us could be accepting the Grammy or Oscar and wave to all the HTF folks!
    So...who are the budding Burt Bacharachs (sp)...Allan Menkens or Leonard Bernsteins out there???
    BTW..once the copyright stuff is in and proccessed I would be more than happy to share with y'all.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Just FYI, you already have copyright in your work. Registering only provides additional proof of ownership should you need to contest it in court.

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    So...posting here could actually legitimize copyright and all???

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I've written a few tunes in my day. Unfortunately, they're nothing like Bacharach or Bernstein - pop is not exactly my forte!

5. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Wrote lots of songs when I played in 2 bands in the early/mid 90s.It didnt sound like anyone else. It was heavy music and we even got played on a college station in NY(the manager threatened to fire the DJ if he ever played our stuff again but alot of people called in and said they loved it and wanted to know who it was)

I found that I wrote the best stuff when I didnt try to hard:
    Watching The Simpsons, sitting on the crapper,improvised with the rest of the band,writing on a napkin,waiting for my burger to arrive etc(I carried a pen everywhere)

You didnt say what type of music you write or whether you play a instrument. My advice is to record everything you do. After about the 10th time of forgetting the greatest riff Id ever come up with I bought a little recorder and recorded ever single time I picked up a guitar and also dont discard anything until you hear it with the rest of the band. Alot of stuff I didnt think much of sounded great when everyone contributed their part.

Also record practices. Good Luck

7. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I play keyboards for my improv comedy club. We do an "Instant Musical", where we get the title of a musical that has never been written, and then improvise a one-act Broadway musical, everything made up on the spot. So, you could say that I write music almost every night.

I also do a lot of midi work at home. While I wish I could say that I am an aspiring Menken, that guy is way out of my league. What a frickin musical genius he is. I love his stuff!

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    And I ain't no Ashman..but what I wrote I had him in my head.

Andrew...VERY nice stuff you write!!!!!! Not the style I have in my head..but really, really nice music!

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'd love to write songs. Maybe even a stage musical. But alas, I've given up if it's not as good as "Yesterday" on the first try.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Scooter, while posting your lyrics here would provide additional proof of ownership, it could also be considered publishing them, which has its own consequences. Until a work is published, the author has complete control over it, including the right NOT to publish. Once published, anyone can use the work provided credit and standard compensation is given to the author. This is an extreme generalisation, so take it as such.

11. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Well..I did something today I never did before....sent in something I wrote for copyright! OK..maybe I am being a little egotistical..but hey...you never know and only live once!

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Aspiring musician here as well! Keep it up Scooter, music can be very rewarding on many levels, even if we aren't Beethoven!
    Still patiently waiting for my Lakewood M32 acoustic guitar from Germany... [​IMG]

13. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I am kinda inclined to post one of the few I have been creating...get input and all..just wondering how self serving that would be. I dunno....

Not used to being this...indecisive. Guess I am looking for some kinda encouragement. This is, afterall..a global audience!