What's new

Anyone here with the patience to hold out for the DDD sale? (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
and some of the bgger things like the kubrick box Criterions, etc.

whenis the fall sale usually?

Too bad BLADERUNNER wasnt coming out sooner

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I always thought it happened in November. Too late for me to buy all my Horror movies for halloween for less money. :frowning: Let's see, this year's purchase...20% off of $93 is....? Grr....

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Over the last year I've seen their prices steadily climb. So much so that you can usually find things substantially cheaper on Amazon. For instance, DD wants $36.60 for The Office Season 3, while Amazon's price is $31.99. The Blu-ray 5 disc collector's edition of Blade Runner is $34.12 at DD, $27.95 at Amazon. You might save a little bit by waiting for the 20% off sale, but not as much as in years past, especially if you shop around a bit.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
What Dave said, and the fact that a lot of the more obscure titles I would snatch up have disappeared get me thinking my "great semi-annual DDD hauls" are over. :frowning:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I noticed that too about them. I ordered my October horror DVDs from 4 different sellers. Examples...

The Friday the 13th 8-DVD movie boxed set was nearly $50 on DD. At amazon it was about $44 with free shipping. (DD also had it listed at full screen, amazon widescreen)

The original Black Christmas was 18 at DD. I got it for $15 at dvdplanet with free shipping (on orders of $35 or more).

Night of the Comet. $10.50 DD. amazon $7.50.

I can remember the passed 3 or 4 years ordering ALL my horror DVDs for October at DD. Not anymore!!

Now, DD does have great prices among the online retailers as a whole. That Friday the 13th set is $60 in some places. Black Christmas $22.50. Night of the Comet $15. Etc....

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I will gladly wait an extra 3 to 4 weeks to save 20 per cent on "Ken Burns The War, Twin Peaks Gold. "My so called Life. Young Indianna Jones,The Kubrick Set, Roots the new Generation. and the vastly overpriced War and Peace with Anthony Hopkins.
Best
Greg

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Twin Peaks Gold and My So-Called Life (which will be a Christmas present for my wife), definitely hope to get in the dddvd sale...

Young Indy 1, too, probably.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
It's always wise to do some price comparisons before pressing the button on your shopping cart, especially since DVD Planet has started running its own 20% off sale concurrently with Deep Discount's one. Sometime one will have the cheaper price, sometimes the other.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
DDDs fall sale is usually over by the middle of November, so a lot of big ticket items this year will fall outside out it.

Right now I'm making my shopping list up for when(if) the sale does come round- and most of the list is made up of things that just missed the last sale. I've also been going back and canceling orders with Amazon for things like the Midnight Movies. That order was up to $97, but I think I may just end up getting one or two now, and putting off the rest to either rent or get from the DD sale.

even if nothing else new gets announced for the next two months, my DDD wish-list is still up around $300 (and that is factoring in the expected sale prices).

I've got plenty of stuff from past sales (and most of what i bought from Junes sale) still waiting to get a first viewing, so I figure I can afford to wait and just take advantage of the best deals, when they come around.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I don't know if there is any connection to their rising prices, but DDD now has a B&M store in Naperville, IL. I've been there several times and and it is simply amazing. You would have a hard time finding a title that they don't stock and everything is the same price as the website if not cheaper. They have clearance racks where things are insanely priced as well as a whole wall featuring every Criterion release!! It's absolute heaven!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
where is Naperville? I have to go thru Il in a few weeks, if it isn't too far out of the way I would love to stop there

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It's one of the largest Chicago Suburbs, around 30 miles from downtown and about 15 from O'Hare.

I have the address at home, so I'll post it later.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Sorry I took so long to post this. Here is the address & Phone

Deep Discount
1943 Glacier Park
Naperville, IL 60540
630-904-DEEP

It is on the east side of the road in a small shopping center.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I no longer buy from DD because amazon usually has it for the same price with better shipping :frowning:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
There are a few multi-season box sets that I am waiting for, but that's about it.

Neil

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ill wager their climbing prices are due to servicing the debt to buy up all the web stores-DVDPlanet, etc.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think it varies slightly. Don't worry; once it kicks off it'll be all over every DVD site, including this one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if it's going to happen this year, it will start next Friday (possibly late Thurs night).

never got a chance to get to the store. I was right in that area too, but just too anxious to get home (with another 9 hours or so of driving still left).
Besides, I would have felt guilty buying anything anyway with a possible sale just two weeks away.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Usually around this time of year, DD has an awesome buy 1 get 1 free tv shows on dvd. A couple years ago it was most Sony/Columbia tv shows, and last year it was Anchor Bay. This is the sale that I look forward to. Does anyone know if that sale is going to happen this year?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks