1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here Slim Fast it.................

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Abar, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

You know, a Slim fast for breakfast, and Slim Fast for lunch, topped off with a sensible dinner! Who here say it works? Doesnt work? and why or why not?[​IMG]

2. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I know a woman that tried it and it worked quite well for her. She said it was hard at first but it got easier after a while. I would probably starve on a diet like that but it worked quite well for her. I guess it's just like any else you want to accomplish, if you want it bad enough, you can make it.[​IMG]

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Every diet works if you stick to it.

However, I would very highly recommend against resorting to Slim Fast, diet pills, or any other "quick fix" approach to weight loss. For one thing, the vast majority of people do not keep the weight off.

More importantly, we're talking about your health. Stay away from that chemical stuff, and be patient. Natural, nutrititous foods low in fat and exercise. Yeah, yeah, you've heard it before, but that's really the best way to go.

All you have to do is to eat "normal." Not American normal, as we generally have awful eating habits, but natural normal. Lots of green veggies, fiber, and complex carbs. Red meat not more than a couple of times a weak, and chicken and fish.

Most importantly: stay away from the sugar!

And, of course, get your ass to the gym.

Patience, patience, patience. Don't put a time limit on yourself, and say, "I want to lose this much by this date."

My best advice: don't "Diet." Uch, I hate that word. If you are overweight, that means you are eating wrong and/or not getting enough exercise. The best thing physically and psychologically is to change your lifestyle to be healthier, not look for some gimmick. Physically, losing weight than gaining it back is worse than staying overweight. Psychologically, if you gain weight back, you will feel defeated and depressed. It's better to do it right once, even if it takes a while.

4. millercv

millercv Second Unit

I tried it for a couple of months - lost a few lbs but nothing to write home about.

But then I tried Atkins (low carbing) and that changed my life. So far I've lost over 50lbs and can eat as much as I want.

I love going to Longhorn and ordering a huge prime rib, brocolli side and having them hold the croutons on the salad - and knowing that the scale will be down the next morning...

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I agree. Slim Fast is just another money-making gimmick. Don't waste your time. Go the Atkins route. I lost 40 pounds on Atkins in 5 months 2 years ago. I completely ignored the diet for the last 2 years and my weight has stayed off. I've got to go back on it in a month or two to lose another 40 lbs... Imo, it's the only diet that works.

6. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Slim Fast can work, but it is very difficult to maintain a diet of that sort for any length of time. Nutritionally, Slim Fast isn't bad, but because there is so little of it that you consume, you tend to get hungry and revert to the former diet habits.
    The Atkin's diet is absolutely not the way to go, unless you have consulted a nutritionist first. Fad diets like the Atkin's diet does more harm than good because it puts the body into a state of ketosis. The best way to eat is low fat, high carbohydrates. The carbs should be complex carbs, such as those found in potatoes and whole-grain breads.

7. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

My advice is to try a TOPS (Taking Pounds Off Sensibly) Support Group. They don't advocate dieting, but rather healthy lifestyle choices. I joined last Christmas and met some very wonderful and supportive people. In a matter of months, I was able to reach the goal weight perscribed for me by my doctor. Good Luck!

8. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Anybody try that 48 hour lose 10 pounds diet? I forget what the damn thing is called - saw it at Wal-Mart the other day.

9. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

There is only one to lose weight that makes sense. That is to eat balanced meals of the right stuff, counting calories and fat grams. In addition, excercise.

Having said that, we like to start our movie every evening about 6pm and don't want to fool with dinner. As a result, we eat a normal breakfast and lunch, then have Slim Fast with our movie instead of an evening meal. How's that for tying this thread to home theater applications?

I once did the Slim Fast type diet (some other brand) for three meals a day. Two very predicable things happened. I lost a lot of weight and I destroyed my gall bladder. Boy, that gall bladder surgery used to hurt a lot when they made the big slice in your side. Extreme diets do a lot of harm to the body. Don't kid yourself that they don't.

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Sorry, I forgot to preface my post by telling you to have your blood work monitored while doing the Atkins diet. Caveat emptor...

Now, let's clear a few things up. First, Atkins isn't a fad diet. It's been around for 30 years and has just been benefiting from a popularity burst in the last few years.

Of course, if you can exercise every day and eat right and be happy then go that route. Most people can't. So, let's talk about things that work long term. In my opinion, only Atkins will give you a plan that you can stick to long term. Otherwise, you're just going to yo-yo back and forth with your wait.

As other people have mentioned, once you go off Slim-Fast the weight will come back. In my experience, that hasn't been the case with Atkin's plan.

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    The Atkins Diet most definitely is a fad diet. Check this link. It most definitely is a fad diet. It's been around for 30 years, yes, but it's popularity has also faded and then resurged during that time.
    The Atkins diet should be avoided unless you have been told otherwise by a registered dietitian. It does have adverse affects check this link.
    Again, exercise and a diet high in complex carbohydrates and low in fat is the way to go. I lost 85 pounds and have maintained my weight for 7 years following this formula.

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well, we can debate the pros and cons of the Atkins diet ad nauseum. For every piece of research that says its bad, there's another piece that says that it's good. In my experience, it's the easiest plan to follow and produces results. Don't trust me, read the Amazon.com reviews of the book...

13. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

14. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I used to freeze slim fasts and drink one every day for lunch. By that time it was nice and slushy like a real shake. Then one day I shook it up as normal and took a big swig. It was really lumpy and at first I thought it was just lumps of ice. Then I realized that it had gone totally rancid. I was driving at the time! I had to lower the window and spit it out. I have not touched one since that day.

Brian

15. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

16. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Deanne, when i read your post, I thought "You watch a movie every night?!"... Then I saw your theater. Whoa... I love the design philosophy!

--

Holadem

18. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I've had great luck with the "consume fewer calories than you use" diet. It's been around for thousands of years, and is scientifically proven to boot. While the Slim Fast Diet may fall into this category, you don't need to spend $$ on shakes. Just eat sensible, small meals, and be prepared to continue whatever you chose for the rest of your life.
    And don't forget to incorporate some excercise into your life as well. If you're going to lose lots of fat, you want to make sure you have something to show underneath.

19. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Thanks for your words Holadem. We might miss a night every other month, but it's a routine with us. We don't watch any TV and I don't follow sports. That leaves movies. Our library is just under 1000 titles now. No vacations, no nights out, just movies at home. How's that for cacooning?

My wife runs her own business and is tired by the time night comes and just wants to relax. In addition, we have a mentally handicapped son at home who needs someone around. Home theater makes the perfect family hobby. We'd go crazy without it.

Deane

20. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

"I've had great luck with the "consume fewer calories than you use" diet. It's been around for thousands of years, and is scientifically proven to boot. While the Slim Fast Diet may fall into this category, you don't need to spend $$ on shakes. Just eat sensible, small meals, and be prepared to continue whatever you chose for the rest of your life"
    Just wanted to repeat this, 'cause Jonathan nailed it perhaps better than anyone so far. You know, if your body needs 2200 calories to "get by" each day (IE, your BMR), you can eat 2000 calories worth of lard each day, and you will still be at a net deficit of calories for the day. Of course, there are other reasons not to do a lard-only diet [​IMG] . The point is, take in fewer calories than you need, no matter what the source of the calories, and you will lose weight. Exercise simply helps get you to that daily caloric deficit by burning calories.