Anyone here rent from WEST COAST VIDEO?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aurel Savin, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I was going to post this in the Retail Feedback Area ... but there is no one there ... ever! So I am posting this here.

My local West Coast Video here in NY, has been my source for rentals for the last 4-5 years and they have been doing real well as far as selection and carrying WIDESCREEN DVD's.

Until the last few months that is.

With the current trend by the studios releseing separate versions of WIDESCREEN and FULL FRAME versions ... they have been carrying only the FULL FRAME versions.

In the beginning they had about 50% WIDE and 50% FULL but that has become 100% FULL in the last few months.

So basically, all the new big releases from recent times like Road to Perdition, One Hour Photo, 8 Mile, Abandon, Blood Work ... EVERYHTING is FULL FRAME! [​IMG]

Speaking with the staff there, I had some guys on my side being real pissed as well, but they say this is a corporate decision.

I need to give the corporte boys hell about this. I mean even Blockbuster carries a half and half selection ... I never thought West Coast Video would turn this fast, and have certainlt never thought about ditching them in favor of Blockbuster.

Any one else in the same boat?

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    wow i didnt know west coast was strill in operation.

down here in the phillyn area were west coast was started i dont even know if any stores are still around.

blockbuster does have a seemingly random policy when it comes to what version will come in the store.

if it's warners it seems that we get the full frame if both are available.
    if it's dreamworks we get wide.
    example recently road to perdition and minority report.

warners....city by the sea.

3. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if this is the same West Coast Video that was owned by Henry Solano? He owned a few West Coast Video stores here in L.A...

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

West Coast has quite a few stores in this area. And they are all super stores .. some bigger than Blockbusters!

They have great prices, selection and liberal policies. Until now all was perfect [​IMG]

Does anyone know their corporate office number. Their website www.westcoastvideo.com does not seem to be much help.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

6. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I am a member of West Coast Video located in East Goshen,
    PA. I don't use them much anymore because they haven't expanded their DVD selection at all. They only have
    4 wall shelves dedicated to DVD rentals. WHAT A JOKE!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They better get into the 21st century!

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul