What's new

Anyone here on the HTF living in Frankfurt, Germany? Things to do? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just curious...as I am currently working in Frankfurt for the next 2 1/2 months.

I'm looking for some reccomendations on places to hang-out and things to do. I have the pleasure of having every single weekend off during my stay here, so the opportunity is there for me to have some nice travels.

So far, I've visited the Sachenshausen area in Frankfurt and then this past Friday night (and Saturday morning!), some co-workers and I went downtown somewhere (not exactly sure where?) and visited an Irish Pub called O'Reilleys. Now that was a GREAT time - Irish Car Bombs (shots) are gooooood:)

So, if there happens to be any HTF members from the Frankfurt area (or anywhere else in Germnay for that matter), perhaps we could meet up at one of the pubs/bars in Frankfurt for some drinks and talk Home Theater.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Don't live in the area, but spent a bit of time there, since most of my family still lives in Germany. Here's a few suggestions:

1. In Wiesbaden, there is a excellent Indian restaurant. Go up the street right across from the Hauptbahnhof, past the park (you can park your car there, too) and shortly afterwards it will show up on your right. Great curries.

2. In the vicinity of Bad Homburg, there is a very well preserved Roman installation of the Limes, the limit of the Roman empire as it ran through Germany. Pretty pleasant place to spend a Saturday afternoon, if you're into such.

3. In Frankfurt itself is the Goethe-Haus. Well worth a visit.

4. In Bingen, a bit to your west, you can catch one of the Rhine boats. Go take a day, and either travel down the Rhine from Bingen to Koeln (Cologne) or vice versa. Try and find a weekend without rain... but it is a pretty ride.

If you're up for a few longer tours, here's some suggestions:

5. Go to Trier, visit the Porta Nigra. Oldest Roman ruins in Germany - well over 2000 years old.

6. Go visit some of the little towns you saw from the boat. They're great fun.

7. Go visit Heidelberg, do the obligatory castle visit (it is quite the sight), then go up the Neckar and visit some more of the old castles around there. There's quite a few... Also, across the Neckar from the Castle is the Philosophenweg, a fairly steep walk up the side of the hill there to the Thingstaette. There are also some old church ruins up there.

8. Go up into the Pfaelzer Wald, and go hiking. Wonderful pine forest, fairly light, aromatic - and some of the places aroud there serve excellent trout.

9. Speyer and Worms, both have beautiful catherdrals with a long history. In Speyer, right across from the entrance to the cathedral is an excellent little restaurant. It has become a favorite of my wife's when we go to Germany - they make wonderful Spaetzle and Rouladen.

10. Northern Black Forest is only about 2 hours drive from where you are. Southern about 3.5 hours. Freiburg is worht a visit, as are all the numerous little towns and hamlets in the Black Forest.

11. Somewhat far afield, but well worth visiting if you're into technical things, are the locks from the Weser to the Mittellandkanal in Minden. Yup, the canal crosses above the river there... and the Weser is not a small river...

That's just a few suggestions. I don't know what you're interested in, otherwise I'd make it a bit more specific. I like history, technical items, and the like.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow! Thanks for the great list Mike! I'm at work right now and I will take a closer look at everything you posted later on during my shift. many thanks and I'll let you know if I come up with any questions or concerns!

Anybody else?

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Not knocking you here...but why would you visit an Irish Pub called O'Reilleys in Germany??? I see your post on the forum quite often and it seems you get to travel frequently with your job...wouldn't you want to do the German thing???

The mrs. and I will be overseas this summer and I am going to take Mike up on an excellent list of things to do in that area...

Just curious...

TimK:D

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tim,

I was with a group of co-workers that night I visited "O'Reilleys". It was karaoke night and they had heard it was a pretty happening place on karaoke friday nights, and it sure was.

I plan on doing alot more "German" things over the next couple months...trust me.

With my job, I do get to travel alot - most of the time it's to the desert though - where there is usually NO ALCHOHOL. Let alone an Irish pub called O'Reilleys :)

Thanks for your concern though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks