What's new

Anyone here live in ohio in 1960s or 1970s? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Ok, long shot:

In the 1950s through 1970s, Ohio license plates had the year stamped on them:

What i'm trying to determine is, WHEN in the year did you get new plates? Specifically, did OHIO require everyone in the state to get new plates every January, or did they stagger the renewal period over several months?

The reason i ask is, I'm trying to get some dates for some old 8mm films of my family. Using EBAY I was able to figure out the license plate color scheme for every year-- so I can determine in many sections what year plates are on the car...

However- I don't know if I can assume that just because a 1968 plate is on a car, that it means it is 1968... if the state did renewals into the spring- it could be March 1969 and a car could still have a 1968 dated plate.

Does anyone here remember how this worked? Does anyone have someone they could ask for me, as no one in my family (or any co workers) seem to remember. I've tried check on the net, but havent had any luck. I'm considering calling the DMV, but i know that will be an even longer shot than asking here...

Would appreciate any info!

-vince

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Vince,

I've lived in Ohio all of my life (since the 70's) but wasn't driving until the early 90's so I didn't know the answer to your question.

But I did find this on the Ohio BMV's website, I think it answers your question:

Hope that helps, if not I could ask my Dad next time I talk to him.

For other fascinating facts about the Ohio BMV's History go here:

http://www.state.oh.us/odps/division/bmv/BMV_Hist.html

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I asked a friend of mine here at work and he said they changed every year on your birthday. So if you have 63' plates, and your birthday is Aug 64', you'll have those 63' plates on till then.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
That's what I remember also. After a year of snow, salt etc, they were falling apart at times. When I moved to California I couldn't believe plates never changed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks