Anyone here know anything about Raleigh, NC?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Paquette, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

My wife and I have been talking about moving out of Michigan to someplace that has milder winters. This week she recieved a pretty nice job offer from a company in Raleigh. We are heading down there next Friday to have a look around. I'm interested to hear about the climate, does it snow and how cold does it get in the winter? Recreation opportunities any nearby lakes? What is the cost of living like?

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Well first let me say that I've been living here for about 8 years and I love it, we are 2 hours from the beach and 4-5 hours from the mountains. As for climate well we are fairly moderate here. It does snow every other year or so and low temps do get down to about 30 at night during the dead of winter and summer can get up to 100 but for the most part its usually about 80 degrees or so from sping to winter. As for lakes there are plenty although nothing nearly as big as you have in the UP. I will say that cost of living is reasonable not really cheap, the average home price is like 180k but can get up to about 200k.

Now for the stuff that you'll really like:

People are really friendly here
    If you like sports then we can't be beat for College BBall and Football as well being able to check out the Durham Bulls or the Carolina Hurricanes
    Food is great, lots of Southern foods and hospitality
    Last but not least, we are one of the most wired places in the country being home to Research Triangle Park (where I work) and the country's leader in HiDef programming.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will continue my ambassadors role. [​IMG]

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I live in Charlotte, NC and the climate is pretty mild. It doesn't get overwhelmingly hot in the summer -- although there is definitely some humidity in the air -- and it doesn't get too cold in the winter. As mentioned above, it probably snows every other year or so, but it's not much -- probably an inch or two. The bad part is that it's often ice instead of snow and the DOT around here isn't really prepared to handle ice (or snow) so it can get pretty ugly on the roads.

I'm not as familiar with recreation in the Raleigh area, but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff to do. And, as mentioned above, you're in decent driving distance to the moutains and the beach.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a friend who lives there and he loves it. Not many homes with basements I don't think. Not particularly good for HT. Nice area. Nasty hurricanes or former hurricanes occasionally go through. The Outer Banks are a few hours drive away, nice place. And the Great Smokey Mountains are a few hours in the other direction, really nice place!

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We have a couple sets of friends who live in the Raleigh area, and we spend quite a bit of time in the Carolinas (own a condo in Myrtle Beach, which is only a short distance from the NC border, albeit on the coast). Traffic congestion is comparable to the Metro Detroit area. Housing prices are comparable, too. The job market, though, currently is stronger than Metro Detroit.

Others have already painted a good picture of the climate and proximity to places of interest. My wife and I plan on retiring someplace in the Carolina area in about 10-12 years. It's a wonderful region.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

About all I know about Raleigh is that it was mentioned occasionally during the Andy Griffith Show as being a few hours drive from Mayberry & Mt. Pilot. [​IMG]

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's very true and it's something that I hate about central NC. If you want a basement you have to pay a huge premium for the house.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Isn't that true for just about the entire South Eastern seaboard?

9. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

We've been in the Raleigh area for 10 years now. We are originally from upstate NY. We love this area. Very moderate climate, big enough to offer theater, sports, etc but not so big as to make them hard to get to.

Over the 10 years there has been a lot of growth in the area. That's good and bad, but overall still a very nice place to live. Property taxes run about 1% of the value of the home.

If you have kids, the state university system is great. Major schools here are NCSU, Duke and UNC Chapel Hill. First order of business when you arrive is to pick which university you are going to root for. Plenty of sports between the Universities, Carolina Hurricanes, Durham Bulls.

Housing has been booming around here so no lack of places to live. As said before 2 hours to ocean, 3 1/2 to 4 hours to the outer banks. A few hours to the mountains. A number of lakes in the immediate area.

Raleigh has a very nice state art, history and science museums, all free.

Outdoor concerts at a big venue at Walnut Creek or a smaller venue in Cary. Indoor concerts at RBC Center where Hurricanes play (as well as NCSU basketball).

Jimmy V celebrity golf classic and PGA Seniors tour in Prestonwood in Cary.

Overall just a nice place to live. Many people here are Northeast transplants. The running joke is that Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. There is a diverse mix of people here (driven by the universities and the businesses in Research Triangle Park) and it is a friendly place.

That's all I can think of now, If you have more specific questions just ask.

10. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info everyone. We're headed down to Raleigh this Friday for a look around. I'm pretty anxious to get out of Michigan, but the housing market around here is so slow right now I'm afraid when we do sell we'll either lose our butts or it will take a year.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Mark, after reading your post, I clicked over to Yahoo and (coincidentally) this was the news story on the main page. [​IMG]