Anyone here into Martin Logans???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald Shrum, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

Just curious if any here likes or own a set of Martin Logans.

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Hi Donald,

Yes I have and like Martin Logans... I have owned a pair since 95 and went to a full ML rig in 97... what questions do you have?

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I like Miles speakers too[​IMG]
    brent

4. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Brent I just finished selling the sequel II's you should hear the cls's... [​IMG]

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yes Donald, I love ML'S! The first time I heard them I fell in love. They are so clean, and accurate. I just can't quite afford them yet. My dream set up is the Ascent's for my left and right, Cinema for center, Aeon's for rear surronds and Scripts for the side channels. Oh yeah, throw in 2 Descents subs! What do you think? Will that be a solid Home Theater or what? Now I just have to convince my wife to spend that much money!

6. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Donald:

I'm also a ML lover. I have Ascents for mains, Aerius i's at the rear and Scripts for the sides. I have a Theater for the center -- just recently upgraded from the Cinema. They are incredibly detailed for 2 channel and do HT very well, also.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have the Cinema listed for sale in the Hardware For Sale section. It is priced quite reasonably and is in perfect condition.

Regards,

Herb.

7. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

Herb, I saw your posting on the cinema and almost fell over. I would love to get it but funds are tight right now. But If you have in in a few weeks, maybe we will talk.

8. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Donald,

Actually, just after I posted earlier, I received an offer to purchase it, from a fellow in your neck of the woods (Calif).

I had it listed on 3 boards and it sold in less than 24 hrs. Sorry Donald.

Herb.

9. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

Also an ML lover, bought a pair of reQuests after listening to a lot of speakers then hearing Miles' Sequels.

Herb, glad to hear that you sold the Cinema no problem, but now I'm suffering from non-buyer's remorse. Arghh. We're going to have to get down that way to hear your system when things slow down, it must sound amazing.

Larry

10. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Larry :

You and Miles are always welcome.

Herb.

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Guys: I am considering a used pair of ML Odysseys for music only. I'd guess that these speakers are incredible for jazz and classical playback but what do these speakers sound like for loud rock music.

12. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

John,

what are you going to be driving them with? what what do you consider loud rock... I listen to afair bit of hip hop on my CLS IIz's and I think they sound great ( I have to use a sub though!!)

Miles

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Miles: I usually listen to around 75-85dB with peaks around 100dB. I'd rather not use a sub if I could get away with only the Odysseys. Initially, power will be 375w per channel from one of my ATI 2505s. Eventually, I'll be looking for a two channel amp with a bit more finesse.

14. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

John, I do not think that you will have a problem with the amplification, and the Odysseys will go plenty loud. Depending on you room size you may/may not need a sub. I think that you will be very happy with the Logans the Odysseys are an awesome speaker!

Did the price go up in the States? They went up Jan 1st in Canada, a pair of Odysseys list for 11k cdn...

15. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I have Martin Logan ReQuests in my music room. I love them. Haven't really listened to them in a full ML home theater setup. But I'd imagine they'd be impressive.

16. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

I demoed the MLs, not sure which model, and they are incredible. The only fault I had with them was that the had a very small sweet spot. Which brings me to a question for those of you who have an ML HT setup. Did you have a problem getting all the speakers focused correctly to your listening position? How much does the sound change for those not sitting in the sweet spot?

Thanks for the info,

Derrick G

17. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Derrick,

For 2 channel listening it can take a little bit of work getting the speakers positioned to get that sweet spot right. For Ht it is less important since the sound is immersive, positioning is less critical (multichannel music is another matter however) Not sitting in the sweet spot for movies is my house not an issue, anyway I hope this has helped...

18. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Miles_W,

Thanks. I didn't get a chance to try them on an HT setup, just 2 channel. I'll have to try the HT setup. The MLs do have an amazing sound.

Derrick G

19. Bill Curran

Bill Curran Auditioning

I'm trading in my Paradigm Studio 60's and am considering Logan Aeons or Aerial Model 6's. I Haven't been able to find much discussion of the Aeon's as they are relatively new. Anyone have any opinions of them?

Thanks,

Bill

20. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Bill they are a very nice speaker. I am not sure whether they are worth what they charge in Canada versus what you could get Aerius I's for... I would be inclined to try and get a pair of lightly used Aerius i's...

Miles

Also they are a completely different sound from the Arial's. What types of music do you like?