anyone here into emo?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Scott Wong, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Anyone here into emo music? I've been getting into it more and more. i.e., bands such as Thursday, Further Seems Forever, Alkaline Trio, Dashboard Confessional, etc, etc.
    I've got tix to see Dashboard on 03/23 at The Quest here in Minneapolis! woo hoo!!! [​IMG]
    scott.

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Full Collapse by Thursday is a great record no matter what kind of tag you want to put on it

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Ah, his whimsical child-like persona, his bowl haircut, his slow deliberate delivery... we're talking about Emo Phillips, right? [​IMG]

4. Vanessa

Vanessa Stunt Coordinator

Ironically, I'm listening to Dashboard right now. I also listen to Alkaline Trio among the weird mix of music I'm into, but haven't heard of Thursday, guess I'll have to check that out!

Have you seen Dashboard live before? They're playing near hear on the 15th, and I'm trying to decide whether to go...

Vanessa

5. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

What in the name of sweet chicken ass is "emo music"?!? That's not the "tickle-me" Sesame Street guy, is it? [​IMG]
    No, seriously--I've heard the term and don't know what it is--did it derive from punk?

6. Vanessa

Vanessa Stunt Coordinator

Andy -
    All of this is from what I understand. I am by no means an expert...
    Emo (or emocore) is an offshoot of hardcore punk. Basically it injected more melody and emotion into the hardcore scene. It started with groups like Hüsker Dü and Fugazi with others like Sunny Day Real Estate and Weezer following and inspiring countless imitators. Now it seems like there is a continuum that ranges from the relatively lighter sounds of Dashboard Confessional and Pedro the Lion to the harder sounds of 764-HERO and Alkaline Trio.
    You can read more from people who know more than me at:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=C4525
    Hope this helps
    Vanessa

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I read smoehwer its like 'Punk with heart'...
    I know all you hardcore emo fans may dissaprove of my description of bands of emo, but bands like NewFoundGlory that kind of pop/punk/emo i like... [​IMG]
    I think ill check those other one sout.. does anybody have any recommendations of kind of pop-punky style emo that may ease me into it?

8. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I haven't really been into the whole emo-scene for all that long. The music almost seems to incorporate itself into a lifestyle, per se. Weird, I know.
    If anyone at all is interested in knowing more info on bands, you can go to this website:
    The Make Out Club
    It sounds ridiculous but it's a seemingly popular website regarding any and all things emo and punk. Plus, you can look at the dorky profiles while you're obtaining music information. heh heh... [​IMG]
    Hot Rod Circuit, Audio learning Center, Saves the Day, Further Seems Forever, Dashboard Confessional, The New Amsterdams, The Anniversary, Hey Mercedes, Alkaline Trio, Face to Face, No Motiv, The Get Up Kids, Thursday, Modest Mouse, and Less Than Jake...
    these are all some of the bands I've had the pleasure of recently listening to. Yeah, they're emo alright... [​IMG]
    scott.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Just found 'Saves The Day' a while ago, and I'm loving it. Their record 'Stay What You Are' is really growing on me. I'm still debating if I have the funds to buy 'Through being Cool'...but I definitly need to make a note to myself to check out the used CD shelf for it next time I'm at the record store...

I'm also liking what I hear from Hey Mercedes and Further Seems Forever.

JQ

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Jason, I love Saves the Day! Stay What You Are is a great album which I would highly recommend to anyone and everyone. I'm just getting in to emo and I love it! Keep recommending more bands! [​IMG]

12. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

hey, you guys...
    I was just wondering...
    MODERATOR REMOVED SUGGESTION OF TRADING BOOTLEG CD COPIES
    Want more suggestions??? Try these:
    acoustic junction, bright eyes, caroline's spine, good riddance, the juliana theory, the liars academy, unwritten law (more poppy punk than emo), the promise ring, student rick.

13. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmmmmm

Is this a valid comparison?

90's/00's: Alternative is to Emo

as

70's/80's: Punk is to New Wave?

I make that comparison because many hardcore 70's punk bands brought on a more melodic more "pop" version. Sort of like:

Sex Pistols/Elvis Costello

The early Clash/The later Clash

Ramones/Talking Heads

also bands like Squeeze, which may never really had a "punk connection" seemed to emerge from the same scene...

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Alex,

I think a more accurate analogy would be:

One decade's raw music form gets modified into more poppy sounds:

70's punk became 80's new wave.

80's punk/progressive became 90's Alternative/Grunge.

90's Indie Rock became 00's Emo.

15. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Saves the day is really good

Their new cd is quite different than Through Being Cool. Both are great discs tho, I'd recommend picking them up as soon as possible. Through being cool is quite pricey tho...i think i ended up paying over 23bucks for it.

16. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

How about Saves The Day's "I'm Sorry I'm Leaving" 5 track EP? I went to the store today and it was the same price as "Through Being Cool" I was pretty amazed.

I'm really getting into Hey Mercedes now too, I find myself listening to "Eleven to Your Seven" pretty often. And other Pop-Punk-Emo bands out there I should give a chance to?

JQ

17. Joe Stewart

Joe Stewart Auditioning

Here is a list of the bands that I listen to (this list constantly grows): sparklehorse, thursday, weezer, shabutie, coheed and cambria, cross my heart, death cab for cutie, dismemberment plan, elliott, fairweather, fugazi, hey mercedes, jacks broken heart, jawbreaker, jebediah, jimmy eat world, jonahs onelinedrawing, junction 18, longfellow, pop unknown, rival schools, alkaline trio, appleseed cast, at the drive in, boys suck, chomsky, triplefastaction, open hand, the white octave, juliana theory, mineral, penfold, rainer maria, the movielife, river city high, shatzi, RX bandits, sense field, small brown bike, starflyer 59, sunny day real estate, white stripes, finch, the casket lottery, reubens accomplice, ataris, dashboard confessional, further seems forever, getup kids, echoing green, red stars theory, silver scooter, fireside, knapsack, boys life, midtown, newfound glory, promise ring, reggie and the full effect, drive like jehu, saves the day, the prom, pedro the lion, texas is the reason....and probably one or two i'm forgetting (if i remember i'll post) have fun listening!

18. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

saves the day fans check this out
    Djangos
    must cheaper than i've seen in store....

19. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

My personal faves include: The All-American Rejects, Allister, The Ataris, Dashboard Confessional, Don't Look Down, The Early November, Finch, The Get Up Kids, Hidden In Plain View, Home Grown, The Movielife, MxPx, New Found Glory, Saves the Day, Senses Fail, Simple Plan, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, and Taking Back Sunday.

Only a few of these bands (Dashboard, Early November, Get Up Kids, Something Corporate) would I consider specifically "emo", but all of them fit into the whole "pop-punk" genre that seems to include modern emo.

20. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

If you like New Found Glory, you might find that Something Corporate is a good lead-in to emo. They have a similar "pop-punk" sound to New Found Glory (they're even from the same record label: Drive Thru!), but in most of their songs they tend to lean more towards the bittersweet melancholy typical of emo (and they have a piano!)