What's new

Anyone here have your laserdisc player plugged into your computer? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I tried posting this in another section, but it probably won't generate any more replies, so I'll try here..
Ok, my laserdisc player has a seriel connection on it..
Why reason do I have to plug this into my laptop?
What would it do?
Please help me!
I have terrible upgraditis and want to do so many things..
I don't care if it's senseless to put add a laserdisc player, I'll do it anyway!
;)
I'm sure many of you feel that way too.
Nathan

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
What are you trying to accomplish by hooking up the laserdisc player? Do you just want to control playback from a computer? Or do you want to sample video/audio from the laserdisc and import it to the computer?

The reply in your other thread mentioned the little-used computer interface that Pioneer developed for laserdisc players. I haven't researched this, but search the net for programs that can use this interface. Someone may have hacked something together to allow you to control the player.

If you want to sample the audio/video, you need a video capture device in your computer. Laserdiscs have analog video that needs to be digitized and compressed to be stored on a computer. The audio is digital (PCM - same as a CD) and can be sampled into a computer using an optical or coax digital cable in conjunction with a sound card with these connectors.

There may be some proprietary connector that integrates all these functions, but only Pioneer would know the details of this connector or have made hardware/software that allows you to use it.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
All I want to know is What functions can I do with it?
There's nothing I really want to control, I just want to know what I can control and make my decision after that.
I hope that wasn't too confusing;)

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The serial port is used to control the LD player. For example, you can get educational LDs that are designed to work with textbooks. Plug a barcode scanner into the serial, and you'll find the textbooks have barcodes at appropriate spots. Scan the barcode, and the LD will play the appropriate bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks