1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here have your laserdisc player plugged into your computer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Jan 20, 2002.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I tried posting this in another section, but it probably won't generate any more replies, so I'll try here..
    Ok, my laserdisc player has a seriel connection on it..
    Why reason do I have to plug this into my laptop?
    What would it do?
    Please help me!
    I have terrible upgraditis and want to do so many things..
    I don't care if it's senseless to put add a laserdisc player, I'll do it anyway!
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure many of you feel that way too.
    Nathan

2. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    What are you trying to accomplish by hooking up the laserdisc player? Do you just want to control playback from a computer? Or do you want to sample video/audio from the laserdisc and import it to the computer?

The reply in your other thread mentioned the little-used computer interface that Pioneer developed for laserdisc players. I haven't researched this, but search the net for programs that can use this interface. Someone may have hacked something together to allow you to control the player.

If you want to sample the audio/video, you need a video capture device in your computer. Laserdiscs have analog video that needs to be digitized and compressed to be stored on a computer. The audio is digital (PCM - same as a CD) and can be sampled into a computer using an optical or coax digital cable in conjunction with a sound card with these connectors.

There may be some proprietary connector that integrates all these functions, but only Pioneer would know the details of this connector or have made hardware/software that allows you to use it.

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

All I want to know is What functions can I do with it?
    There's nothing I really want to control, I just want to know what I can control and make my decision after that.
    I hope that wasn't too confusing[​IMG]

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

The serial port is used to control the LD player. For example, you can get educational LDs that are designed to work with textbooks. Plug a barcode scanner into the serial, and you'll find the textbooks have barcodes at appropriate spots. Scan the barcode, and the LD will play the appropriate bit.