Anyone here have the Western Digital HD with the 8 meg buffer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMg, Nov 12, 2002.

1. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Im looking to pick up one of these, but before I go out any buy one, I would like to know if any of you own one of these. If so, how do you like it? Was it worth the extra money?

Thanks.

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I don't have one, but from the performance #s that I've seen on them, they are definitely worth the extra few bucks compared to the non-special edition ones. I know that the 8 MB cache makes a MUCH bigger difference than ATA/133 (I think only Maxtor is making ATA133 drives).

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    All the reviews I have seen were very positive. Also, I believe the warranty for WD drives are now longer than Maxtor. I would double check that...

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I do own one and can say that it has made a difference when accessing my MP3's and Divx movies but for normal every day use I dont see a huge difference. As far as the warranty being better for Western Digital drives then Maxtor this is Only true for the new 8mb drives. All Western Digital, Maxtor, & Seagate drives manufactured after Oct 1st 2002 only come with a standard 1 year warranty. Western Digital is However giving a 3 year warranty on the 8mb pro drives (Which are the exceptions).

So long story short I would recommend that for the sligt increase in price the 8mb drives are worth it. Especially when you consider the point that they come with a 3 year warranty as well.

KyleS

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Most definetly.
    I was a bit worried about trying a different company other than my trusted Maxtor, but this drive is well worth it. I went from 10GB 256KB Cache Drive, to a 100 GB 8MB cache, so it might be a different speed notice in my case [​IMG]. If it whern't for the PC Fan in the back, my computer would be as quiet as a mouse.
    Now, if only they could make a silent running fan, I'd be happy [​IMG].

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Neil they do make stealth Case fans that are extremely quiet. Or you could just buy an all Aluminum Coolermaster or Lian-Li Case with a Vantec Aluminum Stealth Power supply. Man you are making me drool just thinkin about it. [​IMG]
    Oh I forgot but Maxtor is the only HD manufacture right now that is supporting the ATA133 drives. The new Maxtor Monster drives also come with the 8mb of cache but I have not see any of the tests on them.
    KyleS

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply's. I dont know about the states, but up here in Canada these things are rare. Its going to take more than 2 weeks for it to arrive.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I've got two WD 8mb cache drivers (a 120 gigger and an 80 gigger). They work well so far, and are only $20 CDN more than the 2mb ones. They are very easy to get in Calgary.