Anyone here have porcelain veneers?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Don Black, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm 24 and half some pretty bad discoloration of my teeth due to soda and neglect. I'm rather self-conscious about it and would like to have it fixed. I don't think a simple bleaching would fix the problem.

So, I was thinking of capping 6-8 teeth with PVs. I undertand it's rather pricey but it would be worth it for the self-confidence. However, I'm concerned about damage to the teeth caused by the sanding process required by PVs and the longevity of the PVs.

I don't want to damage my teeth so early in life and I don't want to have to pay to re-do my PVs in 3 years.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice (online resources) is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have a veneer on a front tooth. The surface of the tooth is midly sanded so that the veneer bonds to it. I don't think it would look real pretty, if the veneer came off, however.

My dentist told me that the quality of the bonding agents have vastly improved in the past few years, and that I should expect to keep the veneer for around 10 years, or maybe even longer. The cost is about the same as a crown—$600-700 per tooth.

I do get paranoid that it will come off, though ( just my little quirk, I guess). I stay away from things like corn-on-the-cob or candy apples.

If I had to do it over again, I would. It's amazing how a little thing like a veneer can make a big improvement.

3. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Don,

It sounds like you haven't even given whitening a fair shot. Why not try out laser whitening? Far easier than bleaching. I had it done.

http://www.britesmile.com/

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Pamela: Thanks for the info. But you only had a single tooth done, right?

Jason: Well, a laser whitening is about $500-$700 and that's the cost of a single PV. I haven't heard anything wildly successful about Britesmile but perhaps you could be the first! Thanks again.

5. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Don-

I don't think it would hurt to go talk to your dentist about it. They will be able to tell you what the odds of it working are. I believe a place like Britesmile is more likely to offer some kind of money back guarantee though, whereas your Dentist might not.

"The BriteSmile Whitening Guarantee
    At BriteSmile, we proudly stand behind the superiority of our state-of-the-art whitening system. We are so confident that we can whiten your teeth – we guarantee it" (ask us about the BriteSmile Whitening Guarantee)"

Why not ask them before you sand your teeth off? [​IMG]

6. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Don,

Here's my tale. It is probably a little more than you wanted to know.

1. Had one of my front teeth broken while playing hockey at age 8. Couldn't find the tooth, it was bonded/molded together.

2. Broke same tooth at age 12. It was bonded back together.

3. At this point, I had a David Letterman-esque gap in betwen my two front teeth. Perhaps this was because my teeth grew in size and the bonded tooth didn't. Who knows?

4. At this point I started to get self-concious about my teeth. Nothing really bad, no crooked teeth, just yellowish. I do not smoke, and I do not drink coffee. I just didn't do a good job of taking care of my teeth as a kid.

5. I started using a whitening kit from an Infomercial [the one with Suzanne Somers I believe]. It did help quite a bit. However, it wasn't perfect. The lower teeth never come out quite right, you have to put this uncomfortable tray in your mouth for hours, the gel comes out of the tray and in your mouth, etc.

6. I went to the dentist to get a custom whitening kit. This is where they take a molding of your teeth and then make a plastic tray to fit your teeth properly. This cost about $300, I believe. The dentist then told me that my bonded tooth would never get any whiter - they are not affected by bleaching or any other whitening method.

What he proposed was that I use the whitening kit to get my teeth their whitest. Then he could either:

a. Have the tooth redone/rebonded.
    b. Have a porcealin veneer put in.

He said that the veneers were a little more expensive but they are stronger and last longer than bonding.

7. I decided on the veneer. I went ahead and got my teeth as white as I could. Then you go to a different place where they make/manufacture the porcelian veneer. They have a scale of shades that they use to determine what veneer they should use that match the color of your teeth.

There about 10 or 12 different shades, I believe. The woman said that I was in between the whitest and the second whitest. That made me feel good! She said it was my call on what I wanted to do.

She said that if I pick the lightest one, it might stand out a little too much compared to the other teeth. Well, having learned from the bonded tooth I decided to pick the whitest veneer.

8. I had the veneers put in. I didn't realize that he was going to put two of them in! The took of the bonded tooth first and they he cut the bottom half off the other tooth off! It scared me a little, because I hadn't counted on that. Later I would realize that they needed to have both front teeth look that same, otherwise it would look terrible.

Anyway, the veneers looked very good and felt really solid. They were slightly whiter than the rest of my teeth. They also looked a little different in composition, however, you would notice only if you looked at them really, really closely.

9. At this point, I decided to go all the way and get the laser whitening to get the full effect. It was really overkill at this point, but I wanted to go all the way with this.

I had the britesmile done. I can't really remember but I think the base price is $400 or something. For an extra $100 or more or so you can some extras plus a coupon for another whitening procedure at 1/2 price within the next 3 years [your teeth will slide back over time due to smoking, coffee, etc.]

It only takes about an hour, which is much, much, much better than using those damn trays! They take a before and after picture which you keep. By this point, the law of diminishing returns was well in effect. It helped very slightly - mostly in the few areas that the trays couldn't whiten properly.

I have seen other before and after pictures, and the results are quite striking.

After all of this, I was grinning like an idiot trying to show off my teeth to the world!!! They looked really good. It felt so great when someone would compliment me on them.

Don, it sounds like your teeth are a sore spot for you. I'm not sure how bad they are, but trust me, people notice them.

Don't be a cheapskate. Work a little harder, save a little more money - suck it up. Talk to your dentist and find out what can be done. You might want to talk to one who does the BrightSmile procedure. The price has probably fallen since I had it done.

JUST DO IT!!!

7. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Don:

Preparations for porcelain veneers can be conservative or aggressive. It depends on many factors. Off the top of my head.... amount of discoloration, presence or absence of existing restorations, dental decay, positions of your teeth relative to each other (ie spacing and crowding), your smile line (how much of your gum show when you smile), your bite, the size and shape of your teeth, and treatment goals.

Longevity can depend on your oral hygiene, quality of the restorations, whether or not you clench/grind your teeth, and whether you have any other bad habits like nailbiting, pen-biting. They should last 7-10 years.

Porcelain veneers look the best and they don't change color, but if chipped, the whole restoration has to be replaced. Composite veneers (tooth coloured resin fillings) are easily repaired and cheaper, but don't look as lifelike, stain after 5-6 years, and won't last as long.

To answer your concern about damage to teeth:

PV can be done with as little as no preparation, to 0.5mm thick within the enamel. I suppose this can still be considered reversible, with little loss of tooth structure. However, if say you have a crooked tooth, more preparation of selected areas may be needed to mask the inherent crowding. Then, this tooth will always have to have some kind of restoration.

An integral part of the treatment planning process involves the taking of impressions of your teeth and either the dentist or his/her lab technician will wax-up the teeth to give you an idea of what the final restorations might look like. This is the stage where you ask your dentist about the kind of preparation each tooth might receive. Once the teeth have been prepared, the dentist may make you temporaries, so you can finalized the shape, size, positions, and test the function and speech. This step depends on the complexity of your case. The lab will fabricate the restoration once the shade(s) have been chosen. Then, they will be bonded into place permanently.

However, let's back up....

You say your teeth is discolored due to soda and neglect. I am concerned that your discoloration is actually decay. Soft drinks don't stain teeth....the sugar combined with less than optimum oral hygiene promote decay, or at least decalcification (chalky white areas usually around the gums) Have you had braces before? Also, neglect leads to gingivitis or worse... gum disease. Any responsible dentist would not place veneers on a set teeth with decay or rampant gum inflammation. Please see your dentist to assess the condition of your teeth and gums, before you get carried away with deciding if PVs are right for you. You need healthy conditions before you spend your hard-earned cash on esthetic dentistry.

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Jason: Thanks for the detail. Maybe I will give BriteSmile a shot. I think they offer some kind of guarantee... Do you have any frame of reference for comparing the results of the custom trays to BS? Obviously, they are more of a pain in the neck. However, if they are better and cheaper than BS...

Ryan: Well, braces are honestly what I believe caused my problem since flossing and brushing around them were such a pain in the neck.

I don't have any gum disease but my gums do get irritated easily. I also haven't had a cavity in well over a decade. My teeth are just badly stained.

9. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Don,

Did you decide on anything?

10. andrew markworthy

11. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I just replaced my 20+ year old veneers with the less expensive bonding version due to the old ones discoloration.

They look great now and I'm told the material is almost stain proof (I don't drink coffee, just an occasional Pepsi or ice tea).

Anyway, the one thing I did was go to Crest Whitestrips.com site and got them to mail me the $7 off coupons. When they arrived I got a box of the Premium 7 day version ($22 after coupon).

I must tell you, it was AMAZING how much whiter my non bonded teeth looked! My dentist admitted they offer the Crest Strips ($75 for an industrial strength version) and say they have great success stories.

I suggest you try them, they are SO easy to use. I just put a top and bottom strip on at 10pm, watched the news, took them out, rinsed and put in set # 2 and watched part of Lettermen show and I was done. 7 days later, the whitest teeth I'd seen in YEARS. Lasts a year as long as you don't smoke or drink lots of coffee/soda etc.

Avoid the other gimmicky whiteners, and go with the Premium Crest Strips..you WON'T regret it.

OOPS!!! I just realized how old this thread is...oh well, hope he got what he needed!
    Alfer

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I still haven't decided what to do yet. I talked to my dentist and he basically said that BriteSmile just dries your teeth up and thereby makes them whiter. When they become moist again ( a couple of weeks), the discoloration comes back. So it's a waste of money unless you go in 2x/month (Intolerable Cruelty anyone?).

I think veneers are what I'm going to do but I'm saving up to have them done. I tried the Pro Crest White Strips and wasn't impressed. I've heard good things about the package as well but it didn't really do much for me.

Sigh...