Anyone here have an M&K sub? Don't hear much love for these around here...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Just wondering. I rarely hear about these sub lines. I've once heard the M&K 5000MX and thought it was super on a Jumanji clip where the safari man fires his shotgun. It had a nice start and stop action to it that I am looking for. (SVS??) Anyone have one of these then went to something else better (for them of course)? I know they are pricey, maybe because they are movie production stardard subs?? (THX)

2. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I only have the MX-125 Mark II, 150 watt sub. Same driver as the THX350 I believe. Very happy with the sound and performace. I really don't know how this compares to SVS or the Paradigm Servo-15, but for the $800 I spent to buy mine I am glad I did. My current HT room is about 12x20 and this has plenty of power for that size room, so I can't even imagine what the 5000MX does.

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I have the M&K MX700 powered sub.

It does not produce reference level SPLs @20Hz for HT, although it still shakes my HT world just fine.

It is one of the lowest distortion subs for music I've ever heard. It was designed to cancel all odd-harmonic resonances. My music preference is 90%/10% ( music/HT ).

4. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

I love M&K anything. I still have an M&K speaker array and used to have dual MX125's for a year that I upgraded to dual SVS 16-46CS's and now dual 16-46CS+'s. From say 35Hz and up, there is not a great big difference, but the SVS subs clearly best the M&Ks down low in both extension and output. The M&K subs are really good woofs but overpriced and underperformed from a standpoint of

5. john g russell

I own M&K MX5000 Mark 11, just got it. I had a professional installer calibrate system, and he threw everything he could at Sub (really low!) and he commented that he noticed NO distortion at all, excellent sub. He said that most people don't know when a sub is distorting, just because you hear everything rattling etc. people think it's a good sub. It weights 125lb, which says alot. I paid $2,200.00 for it so it's more expensive than most, but I'm very happy.