Anyone here have a Subaru Legacy or Outback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

In the last two years of owning my wonderful Audi A4 I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't like it. Mainly it's the seats. 1) They're leather, and I find that to be extremely uncomfortable, particularly in the spring, summer, and fall. 2) They are uncomfortable to me. On a long trip even with breaks and no matter how I set the seat up (and it adjusts about a million ways) I still am in extreme discomfort after about three hours.

I'm completely sold on all wheel drive, and I want a mid size sporty sedan or more likely a wagon. I'm a hobbyist musician and a wagon would move my bass gear much better than a sedan - besides the Legacy sedan doesn't have fold down seats so I couldn't even pack in it.

So I'm thinking Subaru Legacy GT wagon. Any comments? An Outback perhaps? What advantages does the Outback have - it doesn't look nearly as sporty all jacked up with those big tires. I would like something somewhat sporty. Also I want a five speed not an automatic.

2. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Phillip,

I just purchased a used 97' Outback station wagon and love it. Most people you talk to will have nothing but good things to say about them. Of course you will find the occasional bad experience, but any car make will include some lemons in it's production line.

If you want sporty, definitely go for the stick as the automatic is a bit slow off the line. Better yet, if you can afford it, go for the 6 cylinder version. But they list for around 30,000$ plus. As for the high look, that's no accident. The Subaru Outback has a higher ground clearance than some so called SUVs. I've been in an Outback on some pretty rugged roads and no bottoming out. It's not for serious 4 wheeling, but will handle roads your Audi won't.

If you don't want the wagon, the WRX is definitely sporty. I believe there are some members here that have them and will be glad to fill you in. 225 horse power with all wheel drive you can't go wrong! And a list price around 25,000 to 28,000$, cheaper than the Audi.

Good luck on your search, Rick

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Have you thought about replacing it????? I mean if you love the A4 which you describe as "wonderful", I would think you'd be able to get an aftermarket seat and have somebody install it if you're not comfortable with it. I'm not sure about prices but I would think something like $700-$900 would get you a real nice seat that's probably heated and can link into your current button. This is assuming your current A4 has heated seats... Might be better than eating the depreciation cost and buying a new car, especially when your Audi is only 2 years old, you're going to be eating all that depreciation costs.

If your price range goes up, those Volvo Cross Country station wagons are nice, but they're like $37k with options so they're a bit more than an Outback or Legacy Wagon. BMW has the iX but they're also on the expensive side. Mercedes and Lexus will probably have automatics, lexus is now only starting to put manuals in their IS300's and stuff.

Another one you can check is the VW Passat Wagon 4Motion which is the VW's answer to the Audi A4 Avant. A friend of mine has a A4 1.8T Avant 5sp but his is not the quattro.

Good luck with your decision either way...

Jay

5. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

My wife bought a 2001 Outback in March and it's not a bad car at all. She only has the 4 cyl. (stick) because she has a lead foot. I would have preferred the 6 cyl, but she does just fine with the 4. It still has 170 HP and gets going pretty well. Although at around 80 mph it sounds like a sewing machine! As far as room goes, I'm 6'2" and I fit in the driver's seat pretty well. Not as much room in the passenger's seat though. For carting stuff around, it has more room than my old Explorer. It's a good all-around, safe car.

My wife's previous car was an '85 Audi 5000 CS Quattro and she drove it until is had well over 200,000 miles on it. She loves Audis and would have chosen the A-4 over the Outback in a heartbeat, but with a new house and a new baby, it just didn't fit into our budget. The 4 cyl loaded Outback was about $19K.

Good Luck!

Ralph

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

7. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

You love the Audi, so atleast stay in the family and consider the 4-motion Passat wagon. You probably already know that the Passat is a cross between the Audi A4 and A6 and with the higher end W8 Passat and the soon to be released Pheaton, VW service will certainly be comperable to the great service you receive from Audi.

Steve

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

When I say the Audi is "wonderful", I mean that objectively. It has given me enough discomfort that I don't have a positive reaction to it any more. Changing the seat is out of thee qustion, that would be throwing good money after bad.

I am hesitant to check out the new A4 and Passat because my experience has kind of soured me to VW products. You don't find out that your car is uncomfortable for long trips till you take one in it, there's no way to know in a test drive, and I think that it would be safe to say that the new Passat and A4 would have similar positions to my current car.

But I will probably look at them anyway.

Thanks for the input.

9. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

My wife and I took a road trip last summer from Chicago to Wisconsin's Northwoods, then on to Michigans UP and back to Chicago in a weeks time. We had the '01.5 Passat for just over a month and the trip was over 1000 miles total and we couldn't have been more comfortable. I don't know which MY your Audi is, but I love the seats in this car. BTW, we didn't get the leather.

Steve

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Steve,
    It's a 2000. The seats would probably be completely comfortable to most people, but they just are bad for me. I actualyl asked on www.audiworld.com about it about a year ago and there were something like two responses that said "yeah I know what you mean" so it's not a problem for most people. I'm definitely going to look at the Passat.

11. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I actually just bought a 2000 Subaru Impreza L last weekend! I love the car, it drives like a scrappy little rally beast. I wish I could have afforded the WRX (about 25K when loaded), but since those only come new now they were $10,000 above my budget!

My father has owned 3 subarus in a row for the last 24 years or so(the first one got 10 years, the second one 12, and he got the new one 2 years ago). All have been station wagons and put through hard use (lots of towing, lots of miles). None of them has ever broken down or been in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance.

You could go for a WRX wagon, which would eat most similarly priced cars for breakfast. Not as much ground clearance as the outback I don't think, but damn what a car!

-Max