Anyone here have a cordless mower?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Todd Hochard, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Now that I have my allergies under control, I've decided I don't like standing in the hydrocarbon cloud of my gas lawn mower. That, and it's getting old (11th season), and giving me carb trouble, and becoming a PITA to start. I'm sure I could fix it, but...[​IMG]

So, I'm thinking of a cordless mower. I have St. Augustine grass, which is an "easy mow" for my mower. Plus, I have a whopping 50x105 lot, with the house taking up about half of that. So, not a lot of grass to cut-

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I have a Black & Decker I bought about two years ago. It works pretty good, but considering my weather I don't have to mow much, which is nice. The only problem I had was when I let my grass grow real tall, I have bermuda and it gets really thick. Then the mower couldn't do the whole back yard (50' x 60') in one go. It would just get bogged down. But as long as you keep up on it, it'll work fine. Your lot is smaller than mine, so I'm sure it'll work just fine for you. I've never tried bagging, I just mulch, so I can't offer any advice on that.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Once you get used to dealing with the cord, the corded models aren't bad. They weigh much less than the cordless models. And there's little chance of running out of juice. I've used one for 20 years or more.

4. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Black & Decker model back in '99 and love it. I've got St. Augustine grass so I can confirm the B&D model will handle it. I've used the bag attachment when I've let the grass grow too tall for the mulching feature work effectively, but as long as you mow your grass on a regular basis the mulching feature works well and you'll never have to bag your grass clippings again if you don't want to.

The best feature of the B&D mower in my opinion is you just flip a switch to start it, no struggling with pulling a cord. Also changing the cut height is a breeze just one handle you squeeze and lift or lower to your desire. I'm surprised the mower's battery has lasted this long but you won't hear me complain.

I've only had one issue with the mower, a few months ago the electric motor's brush eventually disintegrated, which is a normal wear and tear item on an electric motor, however one quick trip to http://www.dewaltservicenet.com fixed it. At the Dewalt service site you will find an exploded view of the mower with the part numbers and their descriptions along with prices. $11.54 later for the brush/wire set and the mower is good as new. The entire mower has many serviceable parts so it seems B&D has the DIY crowd covered with this mower. I can't say enough how much I like this mower. If you got any questions about the B&D mower ask away.

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

This is the cordless mower I user in my yard. Wonderful mower, and the sound is music to my ears.

Lee Valley Reel Mower

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I also have a black & decker cordless mower, it works good, but I tend to let the grass grow to high before cutting it so it bogs down, I use it in mulching mode

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Lance..

Same here. If you have a smaller lot, they are ideal.. and they weigh so much less then people thing, and are easy to store. Makes it a joy to mow while using a walkman/whatever as I can hear what's going on [​IMG]

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Reel mower is out. 2x/week in the afternoon in the FL sun- I don't think so.[​IMG] Not to mention, I need a 3-3.5" cutting height.

9. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Another satisifed Black and Decker user here. I've also got a 1/10 acre lot. Never had a problem with running out of charge. If the grass is too tall or wet the mower will bog down if you try to just plow through the grass, but if you go slowly with a kind of forward and back motion it will work. When the grass is dry I don't have any problems. One other thing worth mentioning is that the mower deck is narrower than a lot of gas powered mowers so you'll have to make more passes, but on smaller yards this isn't that big of a deal.
    The big plusses are it is a lot quieter and you never have to buy gas or change the oil.

10. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

I've also got the Black and Decker, which I love. On the occasions where I let my grass grow really high, I mow it once at a higher height, then drop it to the normal setting and mow again (55X115 lot). This seems to be much easier on the motor and blade and seems to also be much easier on the battery. I can mow my front and back lawns twice on one charge, no problem.

I think I paid around $400 (at Home Depot) in '99 so I don't know what Amazon is smoking with their pricing.