Anyone here 'graduate' from Gibbs College?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 3, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I say 'Graduate', because when I attended the Montclaire NJ version of the school, it was a joke. I'd go into more detail, but not if no one knows what the heck I'm talking about [​IMG].
    But, if you do, post your fellow horror stories. I wanna see if they are worse than mine [​IMG]. Can it get any worse than an entire graduating class wanting to sue the school for false advertising?

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Why is this in the "Software" section?

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

For future reference... a post like this should be in the AFTER HOURS section of HTF which covers MISC topics.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Like Mr. Lutter said . . .

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

i have no idea what you're talking about...but i am intrigues

please divulge

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yep, my fault. I immediatly emailed Mr.Epstein to move it to the proper forum as soon as I realized my mistake. That's what I get for staying up at 1 AM on to work on 3D files...

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>i have no idea what you're talking about...but i am intrigues
    please divulge >>
    Well, the short version of the story for anyone who may be thinking of joining up with this school for a Communications Course.
    I was working at Blockbuster when my mother spotted this add in the paper for a school called Katherine Gibbs. While I was having fun at Blockbuster, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life there, and regular college wasn't for me(we had tried, didn't care for it), so I decided to give it a chance...
    I probably should have been concerned first, when I saw the school was located in a semi renovated older building in the middle of montclaire. The rep took us on a tour, saying they are just starting this course up, and we'd be the first class to attend it. They showed us where the computers would be when they got them in, and the tour ended. I was a bit reluctant to join, but I got a little pressure from both the school, and my mother, stating that this IS what I want to do with my life, so why not?
    So, I took a requirement test, passed, and started in September. We first met for class and found out, lo and behold, no computers. Worse, we had no computer courses scheduled for that first month, when I was told that that was what we where going to be doing. First quarter goes by, nothing. We spend time waisting in drawing classes, where we where told to draw our hand outline 5 times in a row(I kid you not. The teacher claimed she was an amazon woman. You can't make this stuff up folks [​IMG] ).
    Second quarter goes by, it is now December. Computers FINALLY show up, in boxes. Winter break is over, computers are half setup, and now we finally get into the reason why 95% of us joined the school. I'll give them credit for one thing, we did have two good computer teachers. Our 3D Studio Max one was a pro in the feild, and worked on the Lost in Space Movie. He really knew what he was doing, but he only had three months to teach us the basis of a very complex program. Not nearly enough time. So was our Lightwave teacher, with an equally short 3 month period to learn it.
    The other was our Director 7 teacher. I wish I could remember these guys names, but I'm starting to block the experience out, heh. This guy had a proffesional comic book under his belt, and really knew his craft. He even bought Dreamweaver out of his own pocket, to teach us some advanced HTML, because we where SUPPOSED to get an online course too, but that never materialized.
    It was around this time, that we where starting to get really pissed. The last semester, we had a photography class. But the teacher only showed up ONCE! We got word that he was down at the Jersey Shore on vacation, so we where left unsupervised. We tried to get our money back for the course, but where just given an instant A instead. It was around this time, that the school was being considerd for the upgrade to 'college', and actually PASSED.
    THe Administrators could have cared less about us, because they never passed our concerns to their superiors, as we later found out by talking to one. And she looked even less concerned that we whern't happy with what we where getting for our money.
    Basically, we got screwed and lied too. The entire class wanted to sue the school, to at least get some of our money back(since they DID provide a few good teachers who we actually learned from), but we didn't know how to go about it. Heh, I even emailed one of those, "Help me Howard" type segments on the news programs to see if we can at least warn people of the school in a news segment, but nothing ever happened from that...
    So, if you know anyone who plans on going to this school, because they promise to "Help you find a job after you graduate", don't buy it.

8. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

No plans to attend the school, although I seem to get a card from them in the mail every other week telling me to go to their school. Not happening.