Anyone here ever use/own a Kenwood 1090VR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Hey everyone...
    I did a few searches here,and read some reviews elsewhere on the net,so now I'd like to get some opinions here.
    Like the topic states,I currently own a Kenwood 1090VR receiver. I bought this about 3 & 1/2 years ago,and I do love it. But there are some things now available that I'd like to try,mainly DPL II and DTS,which my receiver doesn't have.
    I remember talking to the salesperson who sold me this ...
    Me- "So what do you think about DTS? I am interested in that."
    SP - " Well,DTS is only available on one DVD at the moment ,and DD is sooo much better. DTS won't last long,so don't worry about it. "
    Oh well...I did get the receiver cheap [​IMG]
    Anyways - not having DTS & DPL II (which I want for the new gaming systems) are the cons,and the reason I am thinking of upgrading. (also no component inputs/outputs)
    But I'm in no big rush - so unless I can get something comparable at a good price (i.e. $500 or less), I can wait
    The Pros of my receiver are:
    DD coax & digital outputs (which I use my DVD player & my PS2 currently)
    Lots of S/video inputs (which I use my various gaming systems for)
    Video switching (again for said gaming)
    So,can I get a comparable AV receiver which has what I need/or what I want? Or should I hold off & save a while? (also hearing from anyone who has actually used what I own would be really cool) [​IMG]
    Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I'm getting the VR509 later this week so you might wanna check that one out...
    It's got Composite and S-Video for 5 devices (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, (CD/)DVD and Aux(In front) )
    It's got component video input for DVD and Video 3.
    It's got 2 sets of S-Video and Composite outs (To-Tv output and Video 1 Rec)
    4 Digital Ins (Coax on Video 2 and DVD - TOSLink Fiber Optic on Video 3 and CD/DVD)
    And it seems the video inputs for DVD and CD/DVD are shared so you can hook up a Audio Only device (CD Player or PC Sound Card Output) to one and your DVD Player to the other (I will hook my PC's Sound Card's SPDIF to DVD and my DVD Player to CD/DVD (With TOSLink Fiber Optic).
    It supports AC3, DTS, DPL2, CS5 (Some DPL2-Like Simulated Surround Mode - Gonna try that), 5 DSP Modes (Theater, Hall, Stadium etc - I don't know how good these will sound, but I will try them)
    I'm upgrading from the VR405 for DTS, DPL2 and S-Video Switching mainly... And the remote seems to kick major ass too!
    I haven't played Console games in years, but I think I will get my SNES out of the closet to try some good old games in DPL2 and/or CS5!