Anyone here ever tried to get published?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Nathan Phillips, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Nathan Phillips

Nathan Phillips Stunt Coordinator

Apologies if this has come up before. I submitted a story for the first time this week and just got my very first rejection. Very exciting. I'm sure I will try again soon...

People have been telling me to submit something for years and I never felt I was good enough to even try until this past year. (And sometimes I still have my doubts.) I have a website where I keep all my writing, fiction and non, and the freedom offered by a venue like that leads me to wonder if all the worrying about length and content and whatever else is really worth it. As enticing as the notion of getting legitimately published remains, I'm wondering if the value is still what it once was.

What I'm really interested in, though, are any horror stories or beautiful happy-ending amazing stories you may have about this sort of thing. I know there are some gifted writers here; any takers?

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Oh, I've tried off and on to get my novel read by various places but never had any luck; I've had more luck with my screenplays, although no sale yet. A lot of "close to what we want, but not quite" or "I always wanted to do a story like this but it isn't within out budget" or "you don't know a thing about *saved plot here*!" I loved that one, from the producer/director of a VERY famous horror franchise. It's just a matter of being lucky, I think, and I'll keep on keeping on.

3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I've submitted a few things, but I've always been rejected. I even resorted to submitting 250-word-or-fewer short stories hoping magazines (mostly SciFi mags) would scoop them up just to have on hand for filler, but those didn't sell either. I got so good -- well, prolific, anyway -- at writing the ultra-short stories that I started a thread here on the topic of ultra-short stories with a few submissions.

I've been working sporadically on a novel (my first, and probably only), but I can't get the ending right. I know how I want it to end, but it always comes out dumb. But, man, what a great beginning and middle it has! [​IMG]

BTW - In writing the novel, I'm amazed at the amount of extra writing I do in order to flesh out the characters and settings. The ratio of fleshing-out to actual draft copy is about ten to one.

It's a good thing I have a day job.

I don't know much about the publishing biz, but I've lurked on a few writers' forums, and I'm amazed and appalled at the quality of what most of these folks call writing. Their submissions contain so many misspellings, bad usage, and, honestly, just plain bad writing ("...and then all of the [sic] sudden..."). These writers are flooding the publishers with their submissions making the publishers' job of finding the good stuff like yours and mine ([​IMG]) very difficult.

Even so, magazine publishers also receive a flood of excellent submissions as well -- far more than they have the capacity to print. So even if your writing is top-notch, if it's not what the magazine publisher is looking for at the very moment he reads it, it will be rejected. Magazine publishers don't have a "back burner." It may be different for book publishers, but I've never submitted a novel before, so I wouldn't know. If I ever finish my novel, I'll let you know.

4. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I used to do DVD reviews and one day I received an email from the site's editor requesting a short personal bio. Lo and behold some of my reviews were going to be used in an upcoming book. I had no idea that this was planned but it sure was fun to walk into Borders and see a book on the shelf that had my name in the credits. That's my one and only claim to fame.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Good going, Michael![​IMG]
    I had one short story published a LONG time ago in some rinky dinky publication that doesn't exist anymore, but that was such a RUSH!!!

6. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

You could always make it a choose your own adventure! [​IMG]

I've had no luck getting anything finished, but I do dream of someday having my work out there. I may be generalizing, but I think the majority of people that post on certian types forums want to be involved somehow. I know that is how it goes for me.

Good luck everybody,

Ryan (look for my 1st novel in 2014) Anderson