Anyone here ever eat 'Dippin' Dots' ice cream?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    It's freeze dried ice cream pellets and they call it the 'Ice Cream of the Future!' I had some at a festival near my house and it was great, I only wish they sold the stuff in stores where I could buy it regularly. [​IMG]

It's wierd when you eat them, because they are so hyper-frozen that they stick to your lips and tongue a little when you first take a spoonfull, they also leave your mouth a little raw afterwards, but not too badly.

2. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    They have them up at Hershey Park in east-central PA. My wife and kids love them. I cam take them or leave them. One thing for sure, they definitely cool you off on a hot day.

3. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Yeah they are pretty good. I'm pretty sure the main reason it's more of a specialty product is that it has to be frozen at a lower temperature than normal ice cream. Otherwise it would melt into, well, normal ice cream! I know the Dippin Dots stands with the special freezers are somewhere in the $2000 and up range.

Kyle[​IMG]

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya they're great! IIRC, the first time I had them was like in 1996.

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I've had them at the zoo near my house. Good, but I think the cost is too high compared to a regular ice cream cone.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Love em! They sell them in various places around here, but it's too damn expensive.

I love the fruit flavor one that's more of a frozen popsicle pellet..it turns too Kool Aid-like juice when it melts..YUM!

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I'm a big fan too. You usually see them at carnivals, boradwalks, sports venues, etc. They actually have a stand here at one of the local malls, too.

And here's the question du jour:

They're the ice cream of the future, right? I first had these things about 11 years ago. When are they just going to become "ice cream," and ice cream as we know it today become "the ice cream of the past?"

8. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

9. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

I have seen them at various amusement parks and carnivales but have never tried them. For some reason they creep me out a little.

10. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

Jordan's Furniture (in Avon, MA) where I used to work sells them in their "Snack Empori-Yum" as "Spaceballs"

Pretty tasty treats...

[​IMG]

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I never really cared for it, but I remember they were featured on an Ice Cream special (on Food TV) and they were saying (IIRC) there was like 2,000 dots in the average sized cup. [​IMG] CRAZY!

12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I love this excerpt taken from the FAQ on their web page:

Emphasis added. They won't sell them to me to take them home, because they would melt in my conventional freezer, but they'll happily ship them to my home or office?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    They are good but I prefer regular ice cream. Still, the dots are pretty cool.

14. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Dave you beat me to it. Grab a cup before hopping on "MOM". They are yummy

15. MarkHastings

Why am I picturing Doc Brown (from Back to Future), in his white suit, taking the Dots out of the dry ice container? [​IMG]

16. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The Dippin' Dots company is based right here in my town [​IMG]

17. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Dippin' Dots is located in Middle of Nowhere, Cain-tuck - there really is such a place? [​IMG]

The only time I've encountered Dippin' Dots is at the Minnesota State Fair where it's been "The Ice Cream of the Future" forever. I've never tried it but now I just might. Considering the extra care they require, are Dippin' Dots more expensive than regular ice cream?

18. MarkHastings

They aren't 'cheap', but I've only seen them in malls, so it's hard to say wether they are expensive because of the fact that they are in the mall or not.

19. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Since it's the ice cream of the future, & I live in the present, I can't eat the stuff.

20. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

Tim I never realized that these were made in our state. I know that they have been selling them at Six Flags/Kentucky Kingdom for a long time. I think they also sell them in the local malls.