What's new

Anyone here ever answered/posted an "I Saw You" ad? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
You know those ads in the paper that say things like "You: Tall brunette, in Target checkout counter 9/3/03, bought sun screen, Me: blonde with glasses, we talked about motorcycles. Want to have dinner?"

I've always enjoyed reading those ads, and wondered if they ever got together. I recently saw "Ghost World", and that made me think about it again.

So, anyone ever done it? Or know someone who has? I would think the odds of the people actually getting together have to be REALLY bad...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I participate in an MR2 (MKIII, the spyder) forum and we seem to always be posting, "Who's the blue spyder on Rt so-and-so last friday at 1pm" kind of messages.. it's funny when you have such a low-production car, we can sometimes find each other online and stuff. I've only seen 1 other spyder when I'm driving mine so far but I have seen others when cycling though, except I can't really wave at them lest they think I'm some nutcase. :)
I have not ever posted a "I saw you" ad but the coincidences would be too remote anyway. You probably would get a bunch of crank calls or fakes anyway...
Jay

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Why not just ask the person out to dinner when you're talking to them in person? I mean, you wouldn't ask somebody out to dinner if you hadn't at least exchanged a few words, right? Or are these ads more along the lines of, "Tall blonde at Wal-Mart, Sunday at 5:48pm, bought dish towels, soap and tampax, drives a red Toyota, license plate number ABC-123: I saw you enter the store. Followed you around for half an hour. You smelled really good. Want to have dinner with me?"

That would just be creepy...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Maybe I'm a romantic. I always figure those people talk, laugh, talk more and then one of them has to leave before they can exchange identities (telephone numbers and the like) or think of doing that. Then all of a sudden one of them (he most of the time) discovers he cannot get the other out of his head for more than two days already... and wonders... and places the ad.

In vain, of course.

Cees

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I saw you enter the store. Followed you around for half an hour. You smelled really good. Want to have dinner with me?"
:laugh::laugh: totally.
I always get the feeling that just about everyone who posts those "I saw you" ads is some older guy going through a midlife crisis, desperate to recapture his youth through the supple, buxem embrace of a younger woman.
In other words, creepy middle aged stalker types... I've had enough girlfriends stalked by dudes like this in the workplace, it's bad enough they have to advertise themselves so blatantly.
~j

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Apart from stalking problems ;) I think the person meant that you met someone once and may never see them again so you post an ad. Sure its true you should have the nerve to ask the person out if you want to, but sometimes its a delayed reaction.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Cees here, I don't think it's about stalking, more about "damn, I forgot to ask for his/her number!"
But the other person must REALLY have made an impression if they place an ad like that.
Here's one of the "I Saw You" ads in this week's Tucson Weekly that don't belong to the category I mention above:
"We worked in a deli in Sept '99 and had a rendezvous. I dumped my boyfriend because I wanted you, but then we lost touch. Would love to talk again."
There's gotta be a halfway interesting drama behind that one.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
8:17AM. Crowded subway station (42nd St Times Square). Amid the heat, the noise and the chaos, your eyes fall upon her's. She is standing there, somewhat detached from it all, a surreal sight. It lasts only a split second before you are taken away by the mob, but it feels like a breath of fresh air. It brightens up that gloomy routine morning.
Cheesy, and I am not a very good writer , I know... :b
But the kind of stuff is common occurence when you live in a big crowded city like NYC. For those few priceless seconds, you are in love.
I rarely wish I could talk to them because it's beautiful the way it is, it's fleeting, it's a fantasy. It's all in the moment.
Now there is one I really should have spoken to (this was in the bus). Physically, she was totally my type, and she was reading... The LOTR. I was really in a crappy mood for some reason, but regretted it later... how often do you meet a beautiful woman who happens to be reading your favorite book? :eek: Not just any book: that particular one definitely tells me something about her personality - and this was last year, before the movie came out.
Oh well. :)
--
Holadem

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well actually, we have something in Toronto which serves that exact purpose. Its called "Speakers Corner" on CITY TV and people go on there and you pay a loonie and the video tape starts and you speak into the camera. People ask a person they met once but have no way of getting ahold of them, to contact them by calling CITY TV for the information. It works because since it gets so much coverage (its a fairly popular TV station) and so even if the intended listener doesn't hear it, there is a slight chance someone else who figures out who the person is talking about will contact that person.

Ph, and of course "Speakers Corner" airs on TV so people watching can see. Mostly people just Rant, but there are request for employment, people looking for places to live, people looking randomly for love, but many do go on and say that they saw such and such a person and they want to get in touch because they might be "soul mates". I think its kinda cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks