What's new

Anyone here commute between cities? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
In a few hours I will be flying down to Long Beach so I can start my new job tommorrow. No jobs around the Bay Area so this is as close (~300 miles) as I can get. Don't really want to move so I will be looking for a room/studio for week (Monday to Thursday or Friday) after the relocating hotel runs out.
Not crazy about this- being away from the wife and dogs and our home but that's life. There is also a chance that something might open up here so I really don't want to do anything quick that I will live to regret but I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same thing? Once it gets into a routine I know it will be quicker; but it still seems like it will get old quick.
I have a year to get relocating costs so at least I can see what happens.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I used to commute to Dallas from New Jersey every week. I'd catch the 6:00 AM out of Newark and take the 3:30 pm from DFW home.

Honestly, I could only take it for about 3 months before I asked for either a permanent relocation or for a reassignment.

Granted, your commute is much shorter than mine was, but it does get old living out of hotels, losing most of your weekend because you have to catch up on errands you couldn't do while away, etc.

That being said, I'd do it for a month and then see how you feel about the situation. If the company is willing to pay for car rental, flights, and hotels every week, you pretty much have time to sort through things and see what's bearable. If, on the other hand, you're paying out of pocket and there's a chance that the longer you make the trip to Long Beach, the less "temporary" it will be, I'd definitely reconsider something a bit more permanent right away, either relocation or job-wise.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Grant,

I've been commuting from Denver to Boston for about 45 weeks/year for the last 3 1/2 years.

It's not easy. I go through phases where it doesn't really bother me, then other phases where getting on the plane on Sunday nights feels like the hardest thing I've ever done. Luckily my wife understands, although I know she's getting really sick of it.

I'm lucky in that my employer doesn't mind the arrangement, and actually pays for my accomodations in Boston.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Anthony_J
I can see why you got sick of it quick, thats half way across the country and CameronJ your not much closer.
OK that makes me feel better
One week down....and home with my dog sleeping on my leg. My wife knows why I am doing this but the dogs dont. They squeal when they hear my voice on the answering machine.

Nice employers and I can't complain but most will be out of pocket. You dont have $39 flights that I do so its not that bad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks