Anyone here collect the DBZ uncut DVDs? Need advice!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terrell, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I've recently become interested in DBZ. I've never been into anime, but came across this series on Cartoon Network, and for some reason started watching it. It was the series where Babadi enslaves Vegeta's mind, and Vegeta and Goku faceoff against one another while the Supreme Khai and Gohan try to stop Majin Buu from being hatched. And I slowly found myself into this for some reason.

Suddenly, I've become interested in not only collecting the series on DVD, but also the films. Can anyone give me some advice on exactly what uncut means. I know they're originally in Japanese, and for the U.S. have been dubbed in english. Can anyone give me some recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

What is DBZ?

3. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

5. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Hey, if there wasn't so much of it to collect (at such high prices), I would [​IMG]

6. Mijang

Mijang Agent

Uncut refers to the fact the the versions dubbed in English have also at times been edited for nudity, violence, and blood. The earlier Pioneer releases only contain the English dub and are thus edited. The later releases from Funimation contain both the English dub and the uncut Japanese version. There are currently 5 movies and 2 TV specials on DVD, and I believe there are 13 movies in all not including the TV specials. If you plan on buying just the movies I would recommend them all except Lord Slug. To understand the growth of the characters and their relationships you really should start from the beginning of the series. You don't necessarily have to watch the original Dragonball series, but I would recommend you begin at the beginning of Dragonball Z. Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try to help.

7. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

The reason few people, especially people who know what to expect from a quality anime studio don't collect DBZ is because of the lackluster effort put into their product and just general ineptness of Funimation. I tried collecting the series but when they announced the amount of episodes per disk and price point I just said screw it. For a series with as many episodes as DBZ putting any less than 4 or 5 episodes per disk is outrageous. I don't know if they've changed this yet but I just moved on to better anime and more reasonable prices from other studios. I tried one of the movie disks and was appalled at the quality so I just resigned myself to watching it on TV for free since I've already seen most of it in raw Japanese.

8. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I'll probably just buy the movies. They have episodes on DVD. But you're right about the number of episodes on the DVD. I checked their site. I'm not into anime I didn't care for Akira, Outlaw Star, and a number of other anime films I've seen. I like films inspired by anime, but DBZ and Db are the first true anime stories to really catch me.

By the way, I've been watching DB also Mijang. My favorite episode is the abolutely hilarious episode where Goku fights the Ninja Murasaki in muscle tower. I doubled over in laughter at those two episodes. Just hilarious stuff, especially when Goku stuck his pole in the ground and Murasaki landed on it. Also, the pouring of the hot bioling water down the reed Murasaki was breathing through in the small pond was hilarious as well.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I quit after two disks. It's getting expensive.

10. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

It's fun if you have been following DBZ from the beginning. How many cartoons/anime have you seen where the characters actually "grow up" and develop? If you have followed the characters from DB to DBZ to the current Buu Saga...it's very fun to watch... they try to keep it on the lighter side with some action here and there.

I have purchased a few of the episodes that I enjoy the most, but like Kai said.. it's too expensive to collect all of them with just 3/4 episodes per disk. The uncut disk just contain a few more seconds of "killing"/more graphic, where the "edited" ones are how it was cut for viewing on TV.