Anyone here a Maytag man?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Hayenga, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Mark Hayenga

Hi guys,
    I'm having a problem with my clothes dryer. I'm not sure of the exact model (it belongs to my older brother).
    It goes like this: Whenever I toss in a load of clothes in to be dried, it only dries properly about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 of the time the clothes will get hot, but remain very damp, and the timer dial doesn't rotate around towards the 'off' position. Also, I don't see a lot of lint collecting on the little filter thing (my technical knowledge on dryers is unparalleled [​IMG]) The problem seems to have gotten worse over the past month or two (I don't wash a lot of clothes).
    Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks for any help,
    Mark

2. Jeff Ulmer

Did you check that the hose isn't kinked, ie. no airflow?
    Is it actually tumbling?
    The timer could be messed up...
    I'm so lonely... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

3. Scott_G

I'd bet on a clogged exhaust. Wet a towel, throw it in the dryer and turn the dryer to it's maximum heat setting and let it run for a few minutes.
    Open the dryer - it should be hot, if not you have a bad heating coil (if electric) or electronic problem.
    If it's hot. Start running it again and check outside or wherever the dryer vents. You should feel a strong flow of warm moist air coming out, if not, you are going to have to take the cover off and find the blockage.

4. Lary Larson

I'd go with Scott's diagnosis. I had a problem last year where clothes wouldn't be dry even if I ran the load twice as long as normal. Got a Sears repairman in - within 5 minutes he was pulling out a giant wad of lint from the outside vent. I should have asked here first.
    Lary
    ------------------
    Want to help the HTF find ET? Click here! Learn more here .

5. Scott Dautel

I had the exact same problem about 2 years ago ... turned out I had a family of mice build a big nest inside the exhaust duct approx 3 feet in from outlet at the back of the house. I finally caught one of the little bastards scaling my stucco like spidermouse.
    Later, I had another nest inside my gas hot water heater vent (fan forced out the back of the house). That was a really tricky one ... when the exhaust is blocked, a thermocouple connected to a safety switch shuts down the unit. We went thru 2 thermocouple's, a few hundred $ in housecalls and about 5 cold showers, before we found the guilty varmit.
    Remember, mice can squeeze thru a hole the size of a dime! Got homemade wire mesh caps now over all exhaust ducts. No more problems.
    September 'tis the season for rodents setting up house.
    Scott
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Scott Dautel on September 20, 2001 at 10:58 AM]