Anyone heard the Shania Twain Up! SACD ???

Discussion in 'Music' started by Wes Larkins, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Wes Larkins

Wes Larkins Stunt Coordinator

Hey

Ive seen that the Shania Twain Up! SACD was released ive seen it on ebay so I know its available. Has anyone heard it yet ?

Is it Multichannel ?

I know the regular CD has 2 CD's a Country Version and a Pop Version. Which version is on the SACD Country or Pop ?

THANKS

W E S

2. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Wes:

I posted inquiries about this release in the Universal DVD-A thread and got no response. Seems like maybe all the Shania fans are closeted. [​IMG]

Note that the DVD-A skedded for release later this fall (no date as of yet) will probably have videos, if other UMG DVD-As are any indication. So we'll be able to see Shania in addition to listening to her. Bring it. [​IMG]

-p

3. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Err... uh... I actually got this disc, but haven't written anything before now because I didn't think there'd be much interest. You know, it's kind of embarrassing when the number of people who've read your thread can be counted on one or two hands!

I've seen posts elsewhere that describe this SACD's m/c mix as being "aggressive." Without getting into how that word is used far too often, I will say that I don't think it applies to Up!. To me, an aggressive sound mix is one that utilizes all of the available speakers in a design that's meant to expand the music. The oft-mentioned Avalon SACD is a prime example; Up! is not. Yes, the rear channels are used, but -- at best -- only in a minor supporting role. I'm not suggesting they simply provide ambience; but neither do they seem an integral part of the surround mix. I've listened to this disc quite a bit (see below), but I continually get the impression that the goal of the m/c mix was not to mess with the original stereo mix. To my ears, sound placement remains locked in the front speakers. There are a few songs where surround effects are more pronounced, but I would never classify this as an "aggressive" mix. In fact, the DVD-A of Foreigner's 4 (produced many years ago by Twain's husband and co-writer/producer on Up!) makes far better use of the surround channels than this SACD.

I do have to say one thing about the music (my first Twain album, BTW): I've never heard an album so meticulously designed to be a "hit" factory. Put simply, I can easily imagine that each and every one of the songs on Up! would find a home on radio or the charts. This isn't great music (the lyrics are pretty insipid, actually), but it's thick with hooks that grab the ear and lead to repeat listens. Of course, the downside to having 19 radio-friendly tracks is that there's a sameness that creeps over you. If you're a Shania fan, that's not a problem. But if you aren't...

This is a single-disc hybrid release and features only the "Red" (i.e., "Pop") mix. As you probably already know, the original stereo CD was a 2-disc set with the same songs also presented with a country & western slant (Up! was also released in Europe with the "Pop" and a "World Beat" mix).

I'll probably pick up the DVD-A of Up! when it eventually gets released, especially if it comes with two or three of the album's videos.

4. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I found this as I was browsing the "Audiophile" rack at HMV looking for SACDs to test my new Pioneer 563...

I listened to the 2c version mostly but the 5.1 version sounds cool for the parts I've listened to.

One thing I don't get, is how can they fit 73 minutes of 2c and 5.1c on one layer? Doing calculations of how much space a DSD track takes, it seems impossible to me if it's uncompressed. Are SACDs compressed? (losslessly I hope)

I didn't know a DVD-A was coming until earlier today but now that I can play both formats, I don't have to worry about anything!

Next SACDs I'll buy will most likely be Norah Jones and maybe the Chicago Soundtrack.

5. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

yes sacd's are lossless compression as dvd-a are but with different formats.

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Alan:

Thanks very much for all of your comments in your post #3 above!

Paul

7. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Alan: