Anyone heard the new Phantom of the Opera CD? Is it an improvement?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Carlo Medina, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

One of my favorite stage musicals The Phantom of the Opera has a new "remastered" CD version out for the original cast recording (full 2 disc version, not "highlights").

Has anyone heard, or better yet, compared this recording to the original 2 disc CD version? I ask because, in this day and age, "remastered" can be anything from actually better sounding to, simply, compressed and upped in volume. I love this musical enough to upgrade, but only if it's a sonic improvement, and I don't have $35 to potentially throw away just to be the guinea pig! [​IMG]

So if anyone else has already put their cash down on this new version, please post your thoughts here! Thanks in advance for your help.

PS - just reading those initial Amazon reviews was pretty...lame "this is the best ever!!!" which is why I'm asking for all of your opinions on the matter. [​IMG]

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

To me it sounds alot like the new AC/DC remasters.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

So you're saying that is a bad thing?

By the last page of that thread it seems like the new AC/DCs were just made louder and compressed, which is not a good thing. That's what you're saying happened to the Phantom reissue?

Since those AC/DC discs often clipped (or maxed out, whatever is the proper term) I would think that if the new Phantom disc would reveal such misgivings as there are a lot of vocals that will be hurt by this.

Thanks