Anyone heard the elite vsx-56TXi?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by eryn shannon, Aug 21, 2004.

1. eryn shannon

eryn shannon Stunt Coordinator

I can get this receiver for a really good price but there aren't any dealers nearby that have one that I can listen to. If it sounds similar to the 55TXi than I will get It because it has all the features I want and I love the sound of the 55TXi.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've listened to the entire new lineup from Elite at a local dealer. I heard very little difference in the 3 new receivers, and they all sounded the same as last year's models. That is, needless to say, a very good thing. The only reason I would go w/ the 56TXi is if you felt the need for i.link. The 56TXi has a beefier suspension and more internal sheilding, but the sound was the same (to my ears) as the less expensive 54TX and 52TX. The only reason I would move up to the 54TX even is if you have a room that would be very hard to tame and benefit from the extra bands or EQ. The 52TX is the real value of the new elite line. That said, the standard Pioneer 1014TX is a crossover model that's exactly the same as the 52TX (only lacking the RS232 port) and is available online from authorized dealers as low as $450 shipped. I talked to my local Elite dealer and their Pioneer rep and they confirmed the 1014TX was indeed identical to the 52TX. They also matched the price I found online (including tax too), so I went ahead and had them order it for me. It should be here friday or monday. It will be replacing an Elite 43TX.

3. eryn shannon

eryn shannon Stunt Coordinator

The main reason I want the 56TXi is for the i-link because I have the 47Ai dvd player. Plus I think it will make a big difference in sound quality over my vsx-d812. I have quite a large room 4000cu ft and find I can't listen to movies at the level I would like to. When I listen at about 10-12db above reference the speakers sound overly bright and strained. Although there is no audiable distortion it doesn't sound nearly as smooth and rich as at lower listening levels. My speakers are Athena AS-F1's, AS-C1, AS-B1's and 2 AS-P400's. Will this receiver solve my problem or is this a speaker problem, I know Athena's tend to be on the bright side? Or do I need a power amp?