Anyone heard of the "Pocket CD"?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rob Gardiner, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

While European CD Single sales have dropped, there are many number one singles in England that hit sales of 100,000 or more in the first week of release. They realize that singles can help PROMOTE the sales of a CD, not cannibalize them. The US record industry does not get it...(SHOCK!)...but that's another rant and another thread...

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

While European CD Single sales have dropped, there are many number one singles in England that hit sales of 100,000 or more in the first week of release. They realize that singles can help PROMOTE the sales of a CD, not cannibalize them. The US record industry does not get it...(SHOCK!)...but that's another rant and another thread...

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I think the mini-CD looks cool. I own three for conversational purposes. Its just that...

A: The mini CD probably doesn't cost any less to manufacture than the standard CD, if not more.

B: Doesn't work well, if at all, with automatic slot-loading CD players, changers, carosels, or 99% of the equipment your average CD-listener will want to play the mini-CD on.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I think the mini-CD looks cool. I own three for conversational purposes. Its just that...

A: The mini CD probably doesn't cost any less to manufacture than the standard CD, if not more.

B: Doesn't work well, if at all, with automatic slot-loading CD players, changers, carosels, or 99% of the equipment your average CD-listener will want to play the mini-CD on.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have a Pioneer 18-disc changer, so I bought 18 adaptors for it- they're sort of the reverse of 45 adaptors, they're 5 inches and you snap the 3-inch disc in the middle. Don't know if they still make these though. I thought 3-inch CDs were cool when they came out in 1988, but they went away pretty quickly in the US. Good to see they're coming back; the Nintendo Gamecube system's games are all on 3-inch discs, they look like dual-layer DVDs.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have a Pioneer 18-disc changer, so I bought 18 adaptors for it- they're sort of the reverse of 45 adaptors, they're 5 inches and you snap the 3-inch disc in the middle. Don't know if they still make these though. I thought 3-inch CDs were cool when they came out in 1988, but they went away pretty quickly in the US. Good to see they're coming back; the Nintendo Gamecube system's games are all on 3-inch discs, they look like dual-layer DVDs.

9. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I have noticed the complete opposite. 99% of the CD and DVD players I have ever seen since 1988 have a spot for these discs. (Of course that's only drawer-type carousels and players)

10. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I have noticed the complete opposite. 99% of the CD and DVD players I have ever seen since 1988 have a spot for these discs. (Of course that's only drawer-type carousels and players)

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I used to have a couple of 3" CDs from Rhino Records. Somehow I sold these....[​IMG]

I think with the advent of burning CDs, the 3" CD (blanks) is making a comeback in this country. Well, at least you can buy blank 3" CD blanks at places like Walmart.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I used to have a couple of 3" CDs from Rhino Records. Somehow I sold these....[​IMG]

I think with the advent of burning CDs, the 3" CD (blanks) is making a comeback in this country. Well, at least you can buy blank 3" CD blanks at places like Walmart.

13. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I've got an original copy of NIN-Broken that came with a seperate 3" with the hidden tracks later put on the reg. cd at tracks 98, 99. I see these being the same as enhanced CD'sthat have a computer file, movie, link to website etc... you can burn these on blank 3" if you have CD-R that will hold the disc. We burn this type of stuff on business card size discs all the time.

14. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I've got an original copy of NIN-Broken that came with a seperate 3" with the hidden tracks later put on the reg. cd at tracks 98, 99. I see these being the same as enhanced CD'sthat have a computer file, movie, link to website etc... you can burn these on blank 3" if you have CD-R that will hold the disc. We burn this type of stuff on business card size discs all the time.

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The problem is that average joe doesn't listen to CD's on a tray-loading player. He listens to CD's in his car.

Yeah, some portables have snap-lock centers, but thanks to the popularity of iPod and other Mp3 players the portable CD is no-longer the "cool" in-thing. and so most CD's end-up in cars.

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The problem is that average joe doesn't listen to CD's on a tray-loading player. He listens to CD's in his car.

Yeah, some portables have snap-lock centers, but thanks to the popularity of iPod and other Mp3 players the portable CD is no-longer the "cool" in-thing. and so most CD's end-up in cars.

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I bought a PCI card for my PC the other week, and it came with drivers on a 3" CD, to my surprise. I hadn't seen one since the late 80's. [​IMG]

Not sure what the point of using a 3" would be though, since it's not like I'd save a whole lot of space in the car anyway. Maybe in combined mp3/CD players.

/Mike

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I bought a PCI card for my PC the other week, and it came with drivers on a 3" CD, to my surprise. I hadn't seen one since the late 80's. [​IMG]

Not sure what the point of using a 3" would be though, since it's not like I'd save a whole lot of space in the car anyway. Maybe in combined mp3/CD players.

/Mike

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've recorded a few of my 12-inch singles onto 3-inch CDs. Sony made a portable CD player circa 1989 that was designed for 3-inch discs, the actual player was only 3 inches wide, when it played 5-inch discs they stuck out the sides of the player!

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've recorded a few of my 12-inch singles onto 3-inch CDs. Sony made a portable CD player circa 1989 that was designed for 3-inch discs, the actual player was only 3 inches wide, when it played 5-inch discs they stuck out the sides of the player!