What's new

Anyone heard of the brand Qualia?? It's Sony's new upscale brand... (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Here's a pic of the Qualia 007 SACD player....$6,800!!

Here's the link to the creation of the new brand. And here is the info on some of the planned Qualia products.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was just reading about it at CNN. Nissan has its Infiniti brand, Toyota its Lexus, and Sony its Qualia. But Sony, bless 'em, sure has been coming up with goofy brand names. (I have a co-worker who pronounces "WEGA" as "weejah.")

Interesting to note: Sony claims it will make each unit in the Qualia brand to order. And one of the models includes an $11,000 direct-view 36-inch HDTV. At that price, if it doesn't come perfectly calibrated out of the box and doesn't outperform a Loewe Aconda, then ... then ...

Whatever.

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
I've always wondered if it's WEGA or VEGA?
VEGA makes more sense to me.
Oh well...

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I thought it's pronounced "vega". The first letter is a double-V, which of course looks like a W ("double-U"?)

When Infiniti first came out, I heard some reps pronounce it "in-fi-NEE-tee", but they got over that pretty quick :)

//Ken

Paul Stiles

Agent
When companies come up with a new, upscale, name brand, they want it to evoke positive attributes such as quality or luxury or whatever.

Sony's new name brand, Qualia, tries TOO hard to sound like quality. Reminds me more of a former Vice President who had spelling problems. Dan Qualia, CEO of the new Sony upscale company ...

So that's a picture of a sacd player? Looks like an exhaust opening with a clear glass/plastic cover.

I did see a demo of the SXRD projector in San Francisco at the home entertainment show. No pricing info was available, but it was stated that this projector was a high-end offering. The image I saw from this projector was VERY, VERY impressive. The $1800 and $3000 Sony projectors, while not in the same league as the SXRD one, were also impressive for the money.

Paul

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
VEGA makes more sense to me.
Oh well...
Well, it certainly is not "weejah".

If you look closely, at the WEGA logo, the "W" is made up of a shadowed "V" behind a fully-visible "V". This symbol is pronouced as a V.

More on topic, I think that Qualia won't fly in North America, should it ever reach our shores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks