Anyone heard of Linn speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    My local "hi-end" dealer is now carrying Linn speakers. I have never heard of them. They are setting them up in the same room that they have the B&W Nautilis speakers and Martin Logans. Are Linn speakers that good? Are they comparable to the Nautilis? The Linn speakers weren't priced and the sales rep didn't know enough about them yet to give me any info. What do you guys know about Linn?

2. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Linn speakers (and the entire Linn product line) are incredibly expensive and very handsome to look at. I've heard them, and they sounded nice. Nice enough to justify the price? Well, that's a matter of taste and wallet.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Vlad, like any other speaker manufacturer, Linn makes a wide assortment of speakers. Some blow the Nautilus away, some aren't in the Nautilus' league and some are comparable.
    For instance, their flagship speaker, the KOMRI, lists at $40,000 a pair. They are a 5-way design. Most Linn speakers can be run both passive or active. Active meaning they use an active crossover and individual amps for each driver. So, for example, if you ran the KOMRI's active, you would need 10 channels of amplification to drive 5 drivers in each speaker. I have never heard a Linn speaker driven actively, but have heard it makes them sound incredible. Not that they don't sound great on their own. I recently had a chance to have a 2 hour demo with the ESPEK ($3200 a pair). This is one magnificent speaker! I cannot comment on how "overpriced" they may be as that is in the ears of the beholder.
    Personally, I think Linn speakers are beautiful and awesome sounding and they will be on my short list (including Monitor Audio and Dynaudio) when I upgrade my 2 channel system sometime in the future. You can check them out at this link.
    http://www.linn.co.uk
    Good luck!!!

4. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Listened to a setup with Linn Isobaric's (bookshelf), Naim amp & pre running a Linn TT many years ago and that has been my high end reference for quite a few years except the low end given the speakers' physicality.

PF

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Wow! $40,000 a pair?! I don't think those were the ones they were setting up. I'll have to go back and listen to them. Not that I'm looking to change my speakers, but I always like to check out different products. Thanks guys.

6. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

I think Linn is a British company. All their Power Amps, turntables, CD players, etc are very very good, so I imagine their speakers are just as good. I've seen some Linn speakers, but never bother to listen to any since I just cann't afford them.

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Linn is a Scottish company that began as a turntable manufacturer, but branched out into other areas of hi-fi so that they are now one of the few high-end companies, along with Naim, Meridian, and Madrigal, who make "entire systems." While all their stuff sounds great and has excellent build quality, I've always thought it was somewhat overpriced compared to their competitors. Still, as with Naim, many swear by them. As strange as it sounds, only their $20,000 CD player struck me as a "bargain."

8. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

Actually, Linn is a Scottish company. They pretty much manufacture every audio component from CD/Vinyl transports to the speakers. I had a chance to listen to a few, but mostly to the Linn Ninkas (you have to get used to their unique and original names) set up in their own dedicated sound room. They were actively driven and I believe Linn's $20,000 CD player was used. I was very impressed with them - very transparent and natural - not much low end, but you can always add a sub. For $1,500, they were very reasonable. I was debating between Dynaudio and Linn for a while, but instead got a pair of Norh 7.0s. I don't regret it at all. The Norh's were more transparent, detailed, and powerful then the Linn Ninkas, although the Linns were very good. I'm sure the higher end Linns are spectacular, I just couldn't listen to them in their own room at my local dealer. I would classify Linn speakers roughly with Dynaudio and Monitor Audio.

9. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

As I recall Linn has also been involved in some software production. The 12/01 Stereophile has an interview with Linn's Ivor Tiefenbrun.

PF

10. Troy McHenry

Troy McHenry Extra

Linn is a great company. Their LP12 turntable is legendary. I've used a pair of bookshelf Linn Kan's for awhile and have always enjoyed them (MSRP: $550).
    They have started breaking out into some new territory like the "Classik Movie System" which is now a DVD player, amp, and preamp all in one, just add speakers.
    They just became the manufacturer of car stereos for Aston Martin, much like Mark Levinson doing car audio for Lexus.
    Their entry level CD player, the GENKI has always been a favorite of mine. They have more reasonable priced stuff than you may think.
    They also have their own record label and put out some good audiophile quality recordings.
    www.linnusa.com
    www.linn.co.uk