Anyone heard of Danvers State Hospital?(big picture included)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Sep 24, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's an old Gothic style insane asylum not too far from me that was open from 1878 to 1992 I believe, and has been abandoned ever since. I've heard and read about strange things that happened there, making it seem like a place that's haunted. They don't even know who alot of the people are who are that are buried in the two cemetaries there because some of the graves are marked with only numbers, and the records pertaining to them are lost to time. The movie Session 9 was filmed on the premises.

Here's a picture of the place.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The mad caretaker in "REBECCA" was named Mrs Danvers. Relationship?

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have no idea. It very well could be related.

4. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I've heard of it. I think alot of the witch trials of the 1600's also took place in Danvers although Salem (next city over) is most remembered. I could be wrong, but if so, Danvers could be a creepy town.

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I think alot of the witch trials or accusations did happen in Danvers as well.

Speaking of Salem Mass, when I tell people who aren't familiar with the area that I'm from Salem NH they often mistake it for Salem Mass thinking the witch trials happened here. It's kind of funny.

6. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I'm smack dab in the middle between both Salems but we always refer to Salem, NH as just Salem. When referring to Salem, MA, its always "Salem Mass". I much prefer Salem, NH. I went to Salem State (MA) college and traffic in that city is a nightmare, especially around halloween.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

What a beautiful building, thanks Steven.

I was in the Austin State Hospital a few months ago as part of an historic homes tour. The old building dates from 1857. You'd think a building with 150 years of unsettled souls in it would be, uncomfortable....but I was very happy wandering through the halls.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Not only was Session 9 filmed there, it was the inspiration for the story.

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Danvers (my home town) was originally known as "Salem Village" when the witch trials occured. I just returned from my first visit in a few years and noticed some new memorials to the witch trials around town. Apparently they're trying to attract some of the witch-seeking tourists away from the "new Salem"....

Danvers State was also a TB hospital way back when. Very spooky place.