Anyone heard of Creek audio cd players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I am in the market for a stand alone single disc cd player. I am wanting something a little higher end but not too crazy. Anything under $1000. My local shop is raving about creek audio. I am almost sold on it. I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. I am really interested in the cd 43 mkII.

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Jeff,

I can't say that I'm familiar with Creek but they do have a very good reputation. Another player you might want to consider in that price range is a Rega Planet 2000. I have the Rega model prior to the Planet 2000 model and it is absolutely fantastic. I actually started spending a lot more time listening to my stereo than I had been. The Planet 2000 improved upon the original Planet. I got an excellent deal on mine from Galen Carol Audio, check them out at gcaudio.com.

Alex

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, Creek makes excellent audio products, and the CD43mkII is a quality piece. For under $1000, also consider the following models:
    * Rega Planet 2000
    * Arcam DiVA CD72T (the CD72 is similar and is also very good)
    * Music Hall MMF CD25 (see www.audioadvisor.com for more info.)
    * Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (see www.upscaleaudio.com for more info.)
    * Heart CD5000 and Heart CD6000 (see www.fsaudioweb.com for more info.)

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thanks Alex and Keith, you guys just made my decision that much harder! Just kidding, I like the options. Ireally want to make a smart buy. So if you were me Keith, which one would you buy?

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, glad to help, or to make things more confusing. [​IMG] I have not listened to these players at one time in one system, so drawing conclusions on their strengths and weaknesses is difficult. That said, I have never been crazy about the Rega players. Some really like them, but I don't. I find them to be too laid back. They are lifeless to my ears. I have not yet heard the Music Hall or Heart players. For the Heart models, www.fsaudioweb.com is the only US distributor, so you are not going to find them at a brick-and-mortar store. The same goes for the Ah! player. I haven't yet heard the Music Hall player yet as it is a new model. I recommended the Heart and Music Hall players based on positive comments I have read on Audio Asylum.
    I Creek player once in a system that I was not too familiar with. I came away impressed with the Creek player, however. It is a clean player from top to bottom. It has been said on Audio Asylum that the new Creek CD53 (I may not have the exact model number) is much better than the CD43mkII, but the CD53 is more expensive (around $1500 if memory serves). The last time I was at a Creek dealer, the CD53 wasn't out yet. I would like to hear it.
    The Arcam CD72 and CD72T are great players. You can't go wrong with either of them. I own the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and am biased that way. If you are not aware, the Ah! is a tube-modified Marantz CD4000. Build quality on the CD4000 is only average, but the innards are completely revamped in the Ah! New capacitors, the tube analog output stage, and a toroidal power supply. The Ah! looks completely unassuming, but it is a great player for the money.
    The Heart CD5000 and CD6000 are tube-modified Marantz CD5000 and CD6000 players, respectively. They are based on better Marantz players than is the Ah! and have some unique modifications in them. I know that the op-amp stage has been bypassed in these players, which some people like. I am really intrigued by the Heart players, especially the Heart CD6000, but I am going to the stick with the Ah! player. I have no real complaints about the sound of the Ah! Also, Upscale Audio, the distributor of the Ah! player in North America, offers first-rate customer service.
    A word of advice about the Ah! player if you decide to go that route. Upgrade the tubes. The stock Philips 6922 tubes are nothing special. I replaced them with Siemens 7308s, which are much better in every respect. Upscale Audio sells many different tubes, so you can always discuss options with them. I only paid $60 for a pair of the Siemens 7308s through Upscale Audio.
    Hope this helps you some.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Keith, once again thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it did help out alot. I actually spoke with Frank at FS AUDIO, he was very helpful. I am very interested in the Heart CD-6000. It sounds like a very sweet piece. And as you said, he recommended stepping it up to the 7308 tube. This unit looks pretty nice too, in the champagne gold finish and is very affordable. I think I will be making an order soon.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, sounds like a plan. I was glad to help. Last year when I was shopping for a tube CD player, the Heart models were only available through the manufacturer in Holland (www.tubes4all.com). I could have gotten one of their players shipped to the US, but I decided not to take the chance. I figured if the player were damaged in shipment or were simply defective, returning it would be expensive and a hassle. So, I went with the Ah! player, which I am very happy with. Like you, however, I was intrigued by the Heart CD6000 with the gold chassis. I guess it was last summer when FS Audio became the US distributor for the Heart players. The Heart CD6000 still intrigues me, but I can't justify spending $749 on it now.
    As I said in a previous post, I have read some positive comments about the Heart players on Audio Asylum, but not too many. That's not to say that I've read negative comments. Rather, there don't seem to be too many people out there who own the Heart players. Many more seem to own the Ah! players. Therefore, if you do get the Heart CD6000, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Keith,If I get one I'll let you know what I think. And I think the Heart CD6000 is $849 now. I was quoted that price on the Creek CD43MKII. But I think I am going to go with the Heart.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, thanks for the info. Last time I checked FS Audio's web site, the Heart CD6000 was $749. Looks like they raised the price. Bummer.

10. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Rega Planet and Arcam get lots of good comments.
    Another option in the tubed arena is the Norh CD-1. Its basically a CAL Audio 1 piece from Thailand. http://www.norh.com, though you won't be able to audition it unless you're local to Thailand. [​IMG]
    And watch out for the Norh-ophiles. They're a passionate bunch. [​IMG]

11. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Jeff, have you thought about the newer Sony SACD players? From what I read, the X777ES(?) has a separate laser for CD play back and performs up to the level of some descent CD players. Yes it's MSRP $3000 but you can probably find one street

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

PomingF, the model number is SCD-XA777ES. [​IMG] Anyway, the best price I have seen for it from an authorized dealer is $2000 from Oade Bros. OneCall and J&R Music World, both authorized as well, may match that price. In any event, the 'XA777ES is priced way above Jeff's stated budget. However, there is a reason for that. It is an awesome player in every respect.
    If Sony follows their standard pattern with SACD players and lowers the retail price on the 'XA777ES significantly at some point, I may very well grab one. For example, if Sony drops the retail price on the 'XA777ES from $3000 to $2000, I could see Oade Bros. selling it for $1200, if not less. At $1200, I might very well buy one. This all could be wishful thinking on my part, but Sony did drop the retail price of the SCD-777ES way back when from $3500 to $2500, and I bought mine from Oade Bros. for $1500.

13. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Keith, that brings me to my next question. One of the things that has held me off from buying a higher end cd player is the sacd format. I want one that the quality of the playback for both cd and sacd is very good. And due to the fact that there is still not a wide selection of sacd titles, the quality of cd playback is very important to me. You are right, the XA-777ES is priced way above what I want to spend, but if they did drop the price on those to where you could pick one up for $1200, I would go ahead and spend a little more for that. Anyway my question is, is how good is the rest of Sony's sacd line? I know they have one out there that is very affordable, the SCDCE775, SCD-C222ES and the SCD-C555ED, I know these are five disc changers but if the quality for both cd and sacd playback are very good then I might just look at one of those. What do you think?

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, I saw the thread you started asking about the 'CE775 and replied there. Check out my reply and see what you think. You did not mention your budget of $1200 in that thread, as you said you were looking at the 'CE775 and the 'C222ES, which sell for $300 and $600 by mail, respectively. If you can spend up to $1200 on an SACD player, I have some very good news for you. Definitely check out the 'C555ES. It is better than the 'CE775 and 'C222ES in every respect (i.e., internal and external build quality and sound quality with CDs and SACDs). The retail price of the 'C555ES dropped from $1700 to $1200 back in October, and Oade Bros., J&R Music World, and OneCall, all authorized mail-order dealers, sell it for around $800. I bought my 'C555ES from OneCall in October for $824 delivered. It is simply a great changer.

I provided some information in your other thread on how the three Sony SACD changers compare. Good luck.