Anyone heard of Checkfree?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by alan halvorson, Aug 23, 2005.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

After Ebay bought PAYPAL and discontinued its own payment service, I thought that left PAYPAL as the only payment service. I was poking around Ebay and found a seller with an icon from another payment service called Checkfree. Its claim to fame is that it's cheaper than PAYPAL (1.85% vs. 2.9%) and that it uses eBay's Authentication & Authorization Process for seller verification.

Payment method seems to be simply money transfers from buyers bank account to sellers bank account; it appears that Checkfree does not allow buyers to use credit cards for purchases. That's a plus for some sellers, a minus for others.

Is this a legitimate service? Anyone ever use Checkfree and have an opinion about them? I do not like the idea that they ask for your Social Security number.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    They are legit, and from what I've seen, easy-to-use.

- Steve

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

They may be legit, but I wouldn't give them my social security number. That's just asking for trouble.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Checkfree has been around for quite a few years. I used them for electronic bill paying with Quicken many years ago before my bank offered the service.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I know of many merchants who use Checkfree - you can often see a Checkfree sticker in the window of convenience stores, gas stations and similar businesses. They're hardly a fly-by-night operation and giving them your social security number is no more dangerous than giving it to a bank, credit card company or other financial company.

Regards,

Joe

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    +1. Couln't have said it better, myself.

7. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

If you're looking at using this as a seller, I wouldn't do it. If you don't accept Paypal you'll miss out on a lot of potential buyers.

8. Mark Fontana

Mark Fontana Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Most of the banks who appear to offer their own electronic bill payment services actually contract things out to Checkfree behind the scenes. During college, I briefly worked as a CSR for Checkfree in their wholesale banking division. The phones told us which bank to answer as for each incoming call.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Is there some rule that says a seller can't accept both? That way alan gets the benefit of the lower rate from CheckFree on sales using that option while still being able to accept payment from PayPal users.

Regards,

Joe

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Is there some rule that says a seller can't accept both? That way alan gets the benefit of the lower rate from CheckFree on sales using that option while still being able to accept payment from PayPal users.

He said CheckFree doesn't allow credit cards, so why pay their fee at all? A Paypal account that can't accept credit cards doesn't have to pay a fee to receive money.

I have to think very few buyers are going to choose CheckFree for ebay purchases if they've never heard of it.

11. alan halvorson

I'm wasn't looking to use Checkfree, I was just curious about it. But now I might.

No reason a seller can't use both payment services. It will up to the buyer which he prefers and if he prefers Checkfree, the seller will save a bit on the fee.

PAYPAL accounts that don't accept credit cards and are not charged a fee are limited by PAYPAL and aren't of much use to anyone who does a lot of selling on Ebay, as I do. For these sellers, only a Premier or Business account, with fees, will work. Furthermore, despite their extra risk, if you don't accept credit cards you will lose sales.

12. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    My electric company uses "check free" works great!

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> PAYPAL accounts that don't accept credit cards and are not charged a fee are limited by PAYPAL and aren't of much use to anyone who does a lot of selling on Ebay, as I do. For these sellers, only a Premier or Business account, with fees, will work. Furthermore, despite their extra risk, if you don't accept credit cards you will lose sales.

Which is it then? The free Paypal account that doesn't take credit cards, or the Check(not)free one that also doesn't?

Thanks for making my point.

14. alan halvorson

I guess I don't understand what point you're trying to make, Chris.

I cannot use a no-fee PAYPAL account because of the limits placed on it by PAYPAL. Both PAYPAL and Checkfree are free to the buyer; the buyer can use whichever service he feels comfortable with. Some people, apparently, have heard of Checkfree and it would be an advantage to me, the seller, if they used it because of the lower fees. But I wouldn't require it.