Anyone heard of an old receiver: Lafayette LR1200TA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Gardener, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Dave Gardener

Dave Gardener Auditioning

Hi,

Been reading these forums for a little whiel now and figured this would be the best place to ask.

I have an old Lafayette LR1200TA reciever and really don't know much about it aside from that it was built around 1967. I don't know what quality this equipment is, or whether it would be worth restoring for music purposes (just a 2 speaker setup)

A few details that I can remeber about the unit:

60W/ch, 120W mono

Phono input with H/M/L selector switch and ground

Tape input

Aux input

and I believe a magnetic tape input as well

Speaker terminals A or B, labeled as H and O (not sure what that means)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dave,

I've moved this to the receiver area in hopes someone might have a clue on this item.

-Vince

3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Don't know about the specific model, but Lafayette was the Radio Shack house brand for many years. A couple of things make me think that this unit dates from the mid to late '70s: the power output of 60w/ch seems a bit high for a receiver dating from the mid '60s and H/M/L (Ceramic/MM/MC?) selector for the phono input probably means that it has a phono preamp with enough sensitivity for moving coil cartridges, a common feature on receivers dating from the '70s.

If it works and you are short of money go ahead and use it, otherwise you can do a lot better with a modern receiver, especially if you do not spin vinyl.

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Lafayette Electronics, based in Syosset, NY, had a significant mailorder business (and a wonderful, huge annual catalog) and several stores, was not a part of Radio Shack.

Lafayette receivers were fair for their day. The FM tuners were their best feature.

As for the speaker terminals, the "H" probably refers to "Hot" (positive), but I cannot remember what the "O" (negative) means.

5. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I remember Lafayette. Bought several items from their store in Paramus, NJ back in the 60s. Assuming the unit you have still meets its specs, my guess is the receiver would sound about as good as what you could buy today. On the other hand, if the unit needs repair, you would probably be better off geting a new 2 channel receiver which are available for as little as $100 from places like Circuit City and Best Buy.

6. Dave Gardener

Dave Gardener Auditioning

Thanks for all the info that you have provided to me.

I was thinking of using this unit with a tape deck to provide tape and radio to my living room (I already have a reciver for HT) The problem with the unit is that if you touch the bass, treble or volume knobs I get a loud rumbling from the speakers. (especially with the bass knob) and some crackle when the volume is increased. I think it may just be the controls themselves that are causing this problem. With the user manual is a full schematic of the unit and a transistor locator so the values for the pots may be listed on that. Is this a difficult undertaking?

Thanks for your replies.

Dave

7. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

My .02 on the last post from the owner... I had the same problem with crackling when turning up the volume on my old Pioneer stereo reciever. I tore into it, to see what it was made of, and decided to try some parts cleaner on the rotary dial??? Whatever its true technical name is... anyway, I guess there was carbon build up on it, because it has not done this since the cleaning. The stuff I am referring to, should be pretty readily available at all electronics stores and dries pretty quickly after spraying it on, just make sure the reciever is not plugged in when tearing it apart, nor when spraying the parts cleaner on it.. duhhhhh Hope this helps : )

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Juan has this right. Rotary controls can get balky over time. Cleaning the controls will eliminate the noise. So, if you don't mind tearing it up to get where you have to, it is worth $4 for the contact cleaner.

Artie

9. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

On occasion a noisy potentiometer can be "cleaned" by rapidly turning the knob back and forth several times through its full range of motion (with the unit powered down). Otherwise a spray cleaner (buy one without lubricants), as mentioned above, is required.

Good luck!

10. Mike ZQ

Mike ZQ Extra

I had the same crackle problem with an old Pioneer cassett deck. The stuff I used is made by LPS...electro contact cleaner. The deck works as good as the day it was made.

I'm sure some electronic repair place would charge 40 or 50 dollars to do the same job.

have fun....

11. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I believe this unit was one of the first solid state units offered by Lafayette. I have a friend in Iowa who bought a first year unit which was either the 1200 or a 1500. Lafayette rated their units in power under the IHF rules; I do not believe they had an RMS rating for the unit. I believe they did get good reviews. I lived near the Lafayette store in Jamaica,Queens, N.Y. which was operating long before they built the Syosset Store.

12. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Gary:

I was referring to Lafayette's headquarters and mailorder division, which were located in Syosset.