What's new

Anyone heard of a brand name called Cyberhome? (1 Viewer)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello,
A few weeks ago, I purchased a multi-region capable dvd player from www.j-list.com. It was the CH-DVD 500 model from CYBER HOME. Upon its arrival I eagerly hooked it all up and was a little disapointed with the picture quality via the component connection. It says that it's progressive-scan capable but upon popping in my region 2 edition of THEY LIVE, which is anamorphic, the picture looked fine for the most part except during scenes with gunfire and flashing lights. The video then would either cut out altogether or become scrambled and unwatchable. It's hard to describe, but I was wondering if the player may need a firmware upgrade. On the back it says the manufacturing date was August 2002. Playing my region 1 discs seem to work fine for the ones I've tried. The player does run THEY LIVE properly with no picture problems at all when I use the S-Video connection however.
Does anyone have any experience with this type problem or brand name? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Marty.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The Cyberhome 500 has gained a lot of popularity online, as it was one of the first cheapo region free players that performed solid PAL->NTSC conversion. www.nerd-out.com has a section of their forum dedicated to Cyberhome, and you can find out pretty much anything you'd want to know about them there.

A lot of people love theirs, but it's not something you would probably use for your primary player, as it comes with all the glitches most of the cheapo Asian players come with. They say if you tweak with the settings, you can get a pretty admirable progressive scan picture.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Thanks Nick,
Upon reading through some of those posts on nerd-out, one guy mentioned progressive-scan issues with some moniters. He didn't mention specific brands or model numbers though. Just my luck, my 32" Panasonic from November 1998 must be one of those.

TimG

Second Unit
The problem is you are trying to run progressive scan into a tv that is not capable of showing it. Try running it in interlaced mode instead.

TimG

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I have a few cyberhome cables, well my parents do, they make a 4 meter optical cable for 30 canadian, cant beat that, and hey its optical it either works or dosent.

that being said i would not buy their dvd players, id rather buy a more expensive and solid player like my Yammy :)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
TimG,
Actually, my tv is capable of properly displaying 480P signals, it says in the manual and it works with my Toshiba SD-6200 no problem. But thanks for the suggestion.:) Anyhow, upon doing some more research, I may end up selling this one to a friend and picking up a Toshiba SD-3900 which is also p-scan capable and offers a code one can enter to make it multi-region. The only down side is that the code apparently needs to entered every time you play a dvd from another region, no big deal though. Thanks for the help folks!:emoji_thumbsup:

TimG

Second Unit
Ooops! :b Guess I figured it was an old enough tv that it was interlaced only. That ought to teach me to jump to conclusions.

TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks